GCI60 Disaster

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisJSB

Feb 25, 2015
Plymouth, CT
Does anyone have the GCI-60 by Regency?

I got this stove a little over a year ok and this stove is seriously just a disaster. It's the loudest machine I have ever heard in my life. I completely understand that the combustion blower will be a little noisy but it makes some strange noises.

It squeaks, it bangs. Having it on has almost become a nuisance. The company I purchased it though are complete morons, and they tell me having a noisy stove is not an issue. I have had it serviced by another company but the noises are still there. I'm not sure if its just that I'm going crazy or what.

I have tried many different kinds of pellets but no matter the pellet I use, its noisy.

Thoughts?

Welcome ChrisJSB.

Post a video with sound on something like YouTube and a link to that video on here.

There are many noises that get made by the mechanical parts in a stove, there are also noises made when metal moves under the influence of heat, and lastly moving air inside tubes with metal or other materials in the airflow (aka pipe organs). Lots of folks on here likely can identify what is what and give some suggestions.

I have the same stove and it's been installed since November. I was getting a squeaking noise from the agitator, but I seemed to have solved that. I cleaned the agitator and the upper burn pot really good with a metal brush. I also put some copper never seize on both ends of the agitator; not just the smooth end per usual.

You may want to have another company out and take a look. The only noise the stove should make should be the pellets dropping, a slight faint hum when the auger turns and the sound of the blower fan.

Thanks. The noise occurs even when the agitator isn't moving. I too have tried using the anti-seize on the agitator.

I have attached a video per the suggestion of the previous post. Listen for the high pitch noise in the video. This is while the agitator is NOT running.

sounds like a bad fan bearing. If you hear the sound on startup, when only the combustion fan is running, then that is the source. If you hear it once the convection fan comes on, then that is the source.

Hi Chris- sounds like a convection blower noise. You can PM me if you want a service guy in your area. Good luck The stove is still under warranty (2 Year electrical). Its made by Sherwood industries (Enviro), shouldn't be a big deal to fix.

It's definitely the convection fan, I pulled out the stove last night and even manually moving the fan it squeaks, I tried cleaning it, etc but it continues so it will have to be replaced.

Does anyone know if this can be prevented in the future? I am very diligent about keeping the stove clean, I'm just not sure if its something I could have avoided or not.

Thanks!

Hi Chris Yes keeping it clean is the best way to prolong life for any blower- sounds like this one is still under warranty?? Good luck with it.

Does anyone have the GCI-60 by Regency?

I got this stove a little over a year ok and this stove is seriously just a disaster. It's the loudest machine I have ever heard in my life. I completely understand that the combustion blower will be a little noisy but it makes some strange noises.

It squeaks, it bangs. Having it on has almost become a nuisance. The company I purchased it though are complete morons, and they tell me having a noisy stove is not an issue. I have had it serviced by another company but the noises are still there. I'm not sure if its just that I'm going crazy or what.

I have tried many different kinds of pellets but no matter the pellet I use, its noisy.

Thoughts?

Your stove is is junk. See if you can get your dealer to come get it and issue you a refund

You might be able to oil the fan bearings. I wouldn't do this to a stove still under warranty though. When the motor is replaced take a close look at it to see if there are any oil ports. If not a lot of us use 3in 1 oil, blue can, and get whatever oil we can to soak into the bearings. I've found I need to turn the motor on end and let it sit for a few minutes on each end for this to work. Yep, it means taking the motor out if you don't have oil ports. I do this once a year during my major yearly cleaning.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.