Gci60 (m55) ash pan full

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnbaby

May 19, 2011
Southern nh
So I ran the stove for six straight days and then have it a full cleaning. The ash had built up from the ash pan to the bottom of burnpot. Is that about average? That was yesterday morning. This afternoon after running it for 28 hrs I decided to give it another cleaning before this weeks cold spell and tonight's pats game. So after the 28 hrs there was a good amount of ash in ash pan, this again seemed like a lot to me. There were also this harden chunks of pieces in the ash pan. For the record I'm burning cubex, and I'm burning with heat settings between 1 & 4 depending on temp that day and I usually turn down for overnight. I keep my feed trim between 1 & 2. I'm just curious to see what others are getting during cleanings. Thanks

Depends on the stove and the size of the ash pan.My harman can go 2 weeks of 24/7 burning between emptying ash pan,on the other hand i clean out the Nc-30 Daily as no -one uses the worthless ash pan on that stove.

I clean my M55 insert once a week and have a similar amount of ash. I'll burn from 7 to 10 bags a week. The ash pan will be pretty full and some ash will be in the burn pot. It doesn't get up to the burn pot liner though. I ordered a manometer and am interested to see if the ash level changes after I calibrate the stove.

I clean my M55 insert once a week and have a similar amount of ash. I'll burn from 7 to 10 bags a week. The ash pan will be pretty full and some ash will be in the burn pot. It doesn't get up to the burn pot liner though. I ordered a manometer and am interested to see if the ash level changes after I calibrate the stove.
I keep saying it, but that is my next step as well. Interested to see how far off I am with the damper. I've talked to some here who have there almost completely closed and some all the way open, weird

M55 cast and clones have a small ash pan compared to the M55 steel/Omega/Maxx stoves. I have easily burned from October to Thanksgiving without cleaning or emtpying the ash pan. More than 40 bags and the ash pan was only 2/3 full.

Pellet quality effects how long you can go between cleanings. What brand are you burning?

With the frestanding M55, I have emptied the ash bucket twice this year. Going on bag #94.

I ran 9 bags of lignetics through mine, and emptied the ash pan. It was not up to the burnpot, so I prolly could of gotten away with another 5 bags. I think you are okay, but like asked above, what pellets are you burning?

For the record I'm burning cubex,

Anyways, I burn the big box stuff and FUs/Stove Chows go about 10 bags with no need to dump. GSupremes are right about 5 bags and it chokes out the fire. After 28 hours you say a "good amount of ash" but I suppose it's all relative. Depends mostly on the pellet. I remember burning Turmans last year and I thought something was wrong because there was NO ash after a day. I had just switched from some horrible agway pellets that I had to empty ash every 24 hours or choke the stove out. I think you're in the ballpark if you went six days without having to empty it.

Lot depends on the pellets.
And how complete a burn you get from the stove.

I pretty much run my M55 Cast at heat level 3 and feed and air trim at 3.
I can go about 3 weeks with decent pellets (Vermont/Somerset),
and about 2 weeks with avg pellets (MWP/McFeeters)
The ash pan is fairly small on the Cast M55, about 1/5 the size on my old EF-2

The stove runs 24/7 keeping the shack warm.
---Nailer---

M55 cast and clones have a small ash pan compared to the M55 steel/Omega/Maxx stoves. I have easily burned from October to Thanksgiving without cleaning or emtpying the ash pan. More than 40 bags and the ash pan was only 2/3 full.

Pellet quality effects how long you can go between cleanings. What brand are you burning?
Cubex

Status
Not open for further replies.