GCI60/M55 Insert Damper Adjusment Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
WhenI open the outside (decoration) door on my stove, I can see the damper adjustment on back left portion There's a small hole in the slide that I assume can be used to adjust the damper without having to pull the entire unit out of the firebox? What have you used to adjust the damper? It looks like a wire hanger straighten out would do the trick. Figured a someone here may have some guidance. I'd like to get things dialed in so it's burning properly.

Great idea on the straight pick! I have one of those in the garage.

How do you remove the side panels? Do they just pop off?

Did you find the damper just needed a small amount of adjustment to change the flame pattern?

Thanks in advance Rick.

Got it! Two torx screws on the side and the plate comes off. Just did a cleaning. Giving it some time to come up to temp before I adjust the damper.

You had two screws to remove the side? I'm getting ready to double check my M55, and thought you just had to remove the left side cast plate, not the inner plate. I have never noticed anything in the front when opening the decorative door though. Maybe that's where the GCI60 and M55 differ?

Any chance you could post some pics of the area you had to work on?

What I'm trying to figure out now is what type of hose is best for the mg gauge, for the 1/8" screw opening.

Steve,
I had to remove two torx screws in order to pull the side plate off. I had to visit the dealer yesterday to pay for the install and one of the techs showed me how its done.

I looked at the M55 as well, but can't recall exactly; does it have double front outer doors?

I'll take a few pics so you can see the area on my stove.

Yes, double front outer doors, but they are both attached to one big door. So you can open just the little doors, or swing the whole front to the left. You can also easily remove the cast sides if you open the hopper lid.

That's an interesting difference. I have to open my first door before I can unlatch the inner door.

So do I. I think I said it in a way that didn't make sense. I was talking about the decorative doors. I can open them individually, but to get to the inner firebox door, I have to swing out the entire front.

Steve,
A couple of pics of damper with the side plate removed. And some pics of the side plate screws.

. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416357026.926247.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416357048.979625.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416357066.074013.jpg

Flame looks great, and thanks for the pics. So did you ONLY have to remove the cast side piece? On my M55, the cast side plate mounts (hooks) onto another piece of sheet metal. Is that what you had to remove as well? I wonder if the case design is a bit different on the M55 vs the GCI60? I can easily pull my side cast plate off to see if I can locate the slide...But curious if you had to remove a "second" plate.

Just pulled the side, and it's the same. I can see the slide. On the M55 you don't have to remove any screws to pull the cast sides. They just lift off. Anyway, Thank you!

Of course I noticed some scratches from pulling and replacing the side cast pieces too. Can't see them without direct bright light though. My wife thinks I'm crazy that I am trying to keep the pellet stove as nice a new car. :)

Last edited:
You had two screws to remove the side? I'm getting ready to double check my M55, and thought you just had to remove the left side cast plate, not the inner plate. I have never noticed anything in the front when opening the decorative door though. Maybe that's where the GCI60 and M55 differ?

Any chance you could post some pics of the area you had to work on?

What I'm trying to figure out now is what type of hose is best for the mg gauge, for the 1/8" screw opening.
Regency y has screws, enviro doesnt

Yep, just had to remove the cast plate; that was it. I could probably access the slide without removing the plate, but it was much easier with it removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.