Gear heads, listen up...people need our help and we have an opportunity (tornado relief)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do wish I could help more.....Flooded out my self for 3 weeks now down 3 sump pumps.

Bumping this back up top.

Thanks guys, for your efforts. We are about 100 miles SE of Tuscaloosa and roughly 75 miles south of the Lake Martin area so we came through the storms unscathed. There is a lot of destruction from the storms in several states. Lots of lives are changed forever. The destruction is incredible.

Our uniform rental delivery man came by yesterday. He's a young guy that's hard to get a handle on but who is normally talkative. Yesterday he we noticeably subdued. He lives in the Lake Martin area just north of Montgomery. Yesterday was his first day back on the job since the storm. When the tornadoes were reported he said his wife was upset and he was telling her "nothing was going to happen". To "humor" her he went and loaded a flashlight up with fresh batteries and in a kidding way flashed the light at her...and the house lights went out. He said it was only a minute but the ground shook and the rumbling noise was very intense....and it was over. He said the first thing that he was aware of (and this is something that I hadn't thought of) was the smell of freshly cut, split, busted wood. It leveled houses on either side of his...I'm not sure of the occupants of those houses being as we just let him do the talking as much as he wanted to. This was a single tornado that got houses on either side of his, but his house sustained only roof damage, a satellite dish snatched off the roof, big oaks twisted off, and two storage sheds that were destroyed (I guess the sheds were out towards the edge of the yard closer to the other dwellings). A couple of miles away he lost two cousins and an aunt when their home was completely destroyed. From the way the kid talked, he'll never, ever take a storm for granted again nor take for granted each new day. A lot of people faced their mortality that day and I believe when that happens that the person grows immensely in spirit and wisdom. In this case the experience was/is widespread and heartbreaking.

There is no rhyme or reason as to what tornadoes do when they strike, but they will definitely destroy *something*...whether it is buildings or lives. Clean-up will go on for years, once the housing issues are taking care of and businesses get back to business there will still be blow-downs all through the woods, there are thousands and thousands trees down...some very old ones, too,... debris is scattered for miles and miles, the environment will never be the same. There are similar stories all around people's kinfolks, friends, kids. *Many* lives have been changed forever.

Anyhow, this is an unabashed bump for this thread...and, not trying to take their place or anything, I'll give a "thank you" for those who don't have a computer or even electricity to run one with.

The land will heal and the people will heal, but there will always be scar. Please keep the people in your prayers.

Best wishes,
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.