Gear Review: Corona 3" Bypass Loper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zzr7ky

Minister of Fire
Jun 12, 2006
Hi -

I have been dropping some live trees in residential areas lately. I have been using lopers for clearing the limbs away from the trunk safely and quickly. My Craftsman brand bypass lopers are pretty decent but last only about a year. They trade them without complaint, but is is sad.

So I bought a set of Corona 3" Bypass lopers. They are large, and fairly heavy. I put them to work on a fence row clearing job. Sassafras, Willow, and Poplar I could cut 3" limbs. Silver Maple and cherry about 1 1/2" was enough limb for me. The long handles are nice, I didn't find myslef bending over very far to cut brush at ground level.

I like them. I'm still not ready to give up my lighter and smaller Craftsman lopers but the Corona 3" Loper will be coming along when I drop bushy live trees. I paid $40 for them.

I have a set of fiskars bypass lopers that I've been happy with. I also have a set of ratcheting anvil lopers (unknown brand) that work pretty good on the big stuff....but they are slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.