Geez, was this overfired?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say it got a little hot

One thing for sure, the guys lumbago would never hurt.
You see where the desk is!!!!!!!!!

Actually those kind of "overfirings" were a pretty normal occurance with the old heavy plate stoves. Not that it made it right, but there weren't any guidelines on how hot get a stove, or not. Just the "don't let it glow" rule. Where do you think the clearance to combustibles rules came from. Furniture three feet from the stove bursting into flames, that is where it came from.

The big Sierra has run happily at 800 to 1,000 degree surface temp for twenty years. But the paint didn't combust. It won't anymore because I now know better, but had no reason to know better before the Forum. During the runaway burn, documented in another post, it hit twelve hundred for the first time. Dusted two inches of new Stovebright paint in the very center of the top. Scared the crap out of me, not for the stove, but for that new liner.

One thing I do know from looking at the newer stoves, except the iron and soapstone ones, they would only do it once. And I would kinda like to see what happens to that soapstone at 1,200.

The old dirty burners had a whole bunch of thick boiler plate in'em.

Corie said:
Yeah and meanwhile that hearth is probably nothing but patio pavers sitting on top of carpet.

There is that.

O' Thats a wood stove ?

I thought it was a FORGE . hahaha............

"Hope no one dies buying this"

please. that type of stove is solid, to get that paint white takes only 1200-1500º F temps, mild steel melts at over 2600º F. to say somthing like that is uninformed at the least.

It won't hurt that stove. Built like a tank. If it makes you feel better, put a fresh coat of paint on it. Even the cracked fire bricks are ok until they crumble and fall out. Nothing to get excited about. It's not a dainty little thing like today's stoves.

please. that type of stove is solid, to get that paint white takes only 1200-1500º F temps, mild steel melts at over 2600º F. to say somthing like that is uninformed at the least.
I humbly removed that statement. yes that is a bit much, sorry if I scared anyone! But good to know that my steel stove will tolerate some high heat, not that I would want to test it .

Roospike said:
quads said:
It's not a dainty little thing like today's stoves.

today's stoves are " dainty" ?!?!

Especially the red ones.

Roospike said:
"Dantier" than that thing! Heck, the house would burn down around it before you ever got it hot enough to hurt it. Then hook a chain on it and drag it down the road to heat (or burn down if you don't know how to use it) the next house!

Roospike said:
BrotherBart said:
Roospike said:
quads said:
It's not a dainty little thing like today's stoves.

Especially the red ones.
:p awe..........go back to bed BB . %-P

Ahhh, ha, ha, ha! Quit it guys, your killin' me. :lol:

Them old hunks of iron could fall out of the back of a truck and the only thing it would hurt is the darn road. But man, if the paint is now ash white............I would have to reconsider my burning technique (or lack there of).

On the other hand---- "look mom, no creosote"!

Jags

Look ma no creasote...... Did I mention why I was so gung ho to get a steel liner t his year. I had the chimney swept and the guy told me I didn't have any more glazing because it appeared I'd had a fire. I reswept it myself and when I was cleaning out the smoke shelf there was some "styrofoam peanut" looking ash chunks that I can only assume are burnt up glazing. Gotta love creosote.

Status
Not open for further replies.