Gelco easy clean chimney cap, chim saver & crown cover ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mario veda

Sep 11, 2010
RICHMOND VA
HI ALL ,anyone have this cap or know if it is worth the $80 for it . I like the way it can be opened to clean the flue without removeing the whole cap but can a strong wind flip it open after its been used a few times ???.... Another Question is about Chimnney Saver Sealer .I want to take all the paint off the chimney because it is peeling.... The chimney is 21 blocks tall 8" x 15.5" blocks with 8" flue tile non cracked with only the top four blocks visable on all four sides....All the upper 12 blocks ( from thimble up) have hairline cracks on sides so I would need to use a masonery silcone or ??? product to cover them .The crown also has a couple of hairline cracks ,Chim S also have a crown sealer for that...I am not sure if I need to remove paint, use Chimney seal and then chauk cracks on block or remove paint, chauk first than seal with Chimney Saver....None of the Sweeps around here that have it will sell the Chimney Saver products unless they get the job to do the work but I can D.I.Y and get it online but I may have to buy more than I will use. BTW I am having a 6" Forever Flex brand ss 316ti liner put in to match 6" new woodstove.... Thanks Mario

I installed two of those pop top caps before last season and absolutely love'em. They have a slide latch and ain't coming open in the wind. But if you are talking just $80 is sounds like you are talking about the model for a standard clay lined chimney. What you need is the one made for a liner. It has a top plate built in and a band to tighten around the liner. Keeps the water out of the chimney and the heat in it.

I have two regular old caps, that had rivets holding the 4 bands on. drilled out 3 of the rivets, installed screws. now I just take out 3 screws, and flip the cap up, then twist to the side. Lots cheaper than $80 bucks a pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.