Gen-1 woodshed phase1 completed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I have been planning, re-planning and re-re-planning a woodshed for quite awhile :p. Each potential location on my sloped property had a fatal flaw or would require more of an investment than I wanted to make in my first build. I wanted a prototype, something I could learn from and then build a better one when needed. Hence the use of 2x4s.

So here it is. The roofing panels are 6.5' x 4' corrugated cellulose from Lowes, so with 3 of them I currently have approximately 6' x 12' protected. I'll use pallets to stack on and try to level them out with misc. landscaping timbers and concrete blocks laying around. I built it like this as I can continue it along the fence line adding 10' x 6' at a time. The current 6' x 12' will only hold about a seasons worth of wood for me so I may add the additional length soon given recent scrounging success.

I went low-budget and used a 2x4 instead of a treated 4x4 post, but I did use a treated square of wood to rest the 2x4 on. Next build will involve a more proper post and footing as I'm starting to feel regrets already over this weakness. I also now know 10' is too wide a width for a 2x4 to support 3 of those panels. I can see some bow in it and the 6" we're expecting tonight will test it. Alternatively I could rebuild and turn the 2x4 up on edge for increased stability. I want to avoid inside posts because it's hard to get one centered with the pallet geometry.

8F707FD4-26CA-4683-8323-03A1DB398247_zps4xzigrto.jpg

78A60FCE-78E4-48BA-9A78-058A960C1F37_zpszcz3oejn.jpg

9D323580-D0CB-4CBE-B77A-0CB12675211B_zpsifwgyspo.jpg

Fill it up quickly to prevent the Wind from grabbing on to your roof, and ripping it off.!

Reactions: STIHLY DAN
I'm not sure where you are located. But that design will not be resistant to wind or any snow load. Not trying to be hard on ya, but you really need to use 4x4 post and make a roof structure.
Your 2x4's need to be turned so they are on edge. Then the 2x4 perlins go on top. It easier to fix now, before it collapses.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
You planned this?

I posted it for feedback! So thank you! I wasn't expecting to win any design awards ;) As soon as I finished it I stepped back and had several things I wish I had done differently.

It ended up being taller than I wanted. Today we have snow and the height is contributing to snow covering up the ground underneath. I think I am going to lower it a foot and reduce the slope from 15 to 10 degrees to further flatten it out.

Also will turn those supporting 2x4's on edge to increase the rigidity for the roof.

May add some bracing.

My biggest challenge was finding roofing panels in a length I wanted. These cellulose ones are nice and wide at 4' and I like that, but I could only find them in 79" lengths. My roof ended up being less wide because of this. I could have put them end-to-end but did not have room for a 13' wide roof. And they were too pricey at $20/each to waste any of them but using them short. I guess I could have cut them in half though and get a 9.5" wide roof...hmmm....back to the drawing board....

You planned this?

I know, it is really pathetic looking isn't it? I spent a couple hours last night looking at the woodshed stickie and that only made it worse ;em

I would double up those 2x4 uprights. Build a header on the front and back, then cut 2x's and screw em in 2' on center. Running front to back, then reinstall those 2x's you have flat on top running the length of the shed. Then screw the roofing back down.

Reactions: Sinngetreu and 1750
I know, it is really pathetic looking isn't it? I spent a couple hours last night looking at the woodshed stickie and that only made it worse ;em
It's better than mine! I'm yet to build one.

Reactions: 1750

At least get those 2x3 up rights off the ground. Put them on some cement blocks.
Its better than mine also. I don't have one.

Whatever, do not become discouraged. You'll get it right.

Reactions: NordicSplitter
Looks OK to me - but we don't get snow and not that much wind. I don't think i would have put untreated wood into the ground as they wouldn't last long around here. I am looking at doing something similar in that i want to use a fence line as my back supports. I will probably go with 4x4 treated pine. How much do you think you will get in there? my goal is a years supply.

The untreated 2x4 'posts' are resting on a footer of treated wood. You can't see it. Not a long term solution but then neither is this shed.

I have about 10' x 6' under cover with this or 60 sq. ft. and could probably put 1.5 cords under it if I stack it high and leave some airgap. I need to double the length to get enough wood under it to make it worthwhile.

Just because the interweb says you need a wood shed don't make it so. It's just chunks of wood after all.

It beats the heck out of my woodshed!

For that span I would double up 2x6s for headers on the the front and back, and maybe on each end. Then, 2x6 rafters on 2ft centers. I also think you need a center post, front and back -- I'd go with at least 4x4 PT, maybe 5x7, setting them on piers or dropping them into the ground. (If you put them into the ground, you need ground contact PT). If you want to use pallets, just put them in where you want them, and drop the middle post wherever it needs to go -- it's easy enough to cut a hole in a pallet. However, many of us have found that pallets rot out pretty quickly, so you might consider something else. Since Backwoods has suggested it, I've been using saplings to keep my wood off of the ground, and this has worked really well for me.

My biggest concern with the design you have is that I think the wind will get in underneath it in a hurry, even if it's full of wood, and make a sail out of your roof. Once you have beefed up the roof framing, consider using something like Simpson Strong Tie/Hurricane Ties to connect your framing to your support posts. Most people will think this is overkill, but I'd also like to see you connect the vertical posts to something substantial, either bolt them to the piers, or drop them into the ground a couple of feet. Where I live -- the Thunder Dome! -- that structure just sitting on the ground could wind under it that would lift it right off of the ground.

I think you've got a really good start, and that the general parameters will work fine. I'd just beef it up quite a bit and you'll be enjoying covered wood all next winter! (Caveat Emptor... I'm a natural over-builder, but so far that's never caused me any pain :))

Best of luck on this, and I hope you post pics as you go.

you need more screws in those corrugated panels, and supports closer to the ends. They are like sails. Snow will bend them down, too.

I use similar corrugated panels but just lay them on top of double row stacks and then put pallets on top of that to stop them from blowing away. Pain in the rear when I start removing splits to burn as they are also supports so I'll use a tarp ( on the cord I'm working on ) as much as I dislike them. I really don't like moving wood .

I like the fence.

Last edited:
use similar corrugated panels but just lay them on top of double row stacks

What size have you found the panels? The longest I could find was 79" and I wish I could get them in a 8' or longer length. I'm considering buying more and cutting them to add another 2' to 3' so my roof is wider. I don't have room to double it out to 168" but do have room for 8' to 10'.

What size have you found the panels? The longest I could find was 79" and I wish I could get them in a 8' or longer length. I'm considering buying more and cutting them to add another 2' to 3' so my roof is wider. I don't have room to double it out to 168" but do have room for 8' to 10'.
asphalt/cellulose are only available 41 inches long here
I have 96/144 fiberglass and galvanized steel corrugated panels

I made some of the improvements recommended here.

I stuck with a 2x4 for the post but switched it to a treated one and anchored it in the ground with cement. I also shortened the roof height in the front by 6". It is definitely sturdier.

I added another rafter to better support the roofing panels, turned all of them onto their side for more rigidity, and used rafter tie plates which also made things more rigid. I think it will withstand our snow and wind

85A302CF-5F5E-443C-88BE-B1D4CA56B8AB_zpsv3zll1eb.jpg

187641B0-EC76-4396-B0AA-ABBF0F1D23A5_zpsdgggr6ok.jpg

I'm still unhappy with it. Not for any design shortcomings - after all it's just a firewood cover - but the limited size is likely to afford less protection than I'll be happy with. It snowed last week and snow fully covered the footprint so I have to think a lot of rain will be hitting the perimeter wood all drying season. The last thing I want to do is have to put tarps over my covered wood. The good thing is I can double the footprint by adding on another 10' section pretty easy using along the fence.

I will have to use stacks running back to front rather than stacking the long way. That is because I need room to start stacking in new wood after burning half of it in a future season. I'll block access if I use the first row, then start storing new wood. So I will have 6 rows and hammer in some metal fence posts to hold the open end.

I will use it and see how it goes. I'm thinking the materials ($100) and time would have been better spent procuring some EPDM rubber roofing as durable tarping. I don't have room for a wider roof so couldn't make it much bigger.

Those are some nice roof panels. If you decide to bail on the shed for now you could always stack on pallets along that fence and use them as a top cover until you figure out what shed design to use.

On the front vertical supports, sharpen a couple of two foot long 2x4's and drive them as deeply along side the vertical support as you can, then screw them together, that will hold it down against the wind. Put a couple of 45 degree 2x4's on both front and back for lateral bracing and you should be fine. I call it "deer camp technology", cheap and fast.

Looks fine, should do the job.....everyone here thinks they are Frank Lloyd Wright....
If your read closer, most are trying to help this structure stand up over time. So its not a waste of money. He did ask for advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.