Gen-1 woodshed phase1 completed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the simplicity of it. I would only change a couple things and it would be perfect. Change the front post to treated 4x4s and bury them in the ground like the fence posts, and change the 2x4 lengthwise raters to 2x6s so they have a little more strength, then it would be perfect.
It is similar in design to my woodshed in that you are utilizing a fence as the back structure of the shed, and if you want to expand the shed, the back structure is already there.
I have one question, is that fence your property line?

here is my shed. A little beefier, but same idea.

Reactions: Christopix
I'm still unhappy with it. Not for any design shortcomings - after all it's just a firewood cover - but the limited size is likely to afford less protection than I'll be happy with. It snowed last week and snow fully covered the footprint so I have to think a lot of rain will be hitting the perimeter wood all drying season. The last thing I want to do is have to put tarps over my covered wood.

Use some tarps or canvas on the sides and front that can be rolled up and tied off when the weathers good or you are loading and dropped to keep the rain/snow out. Put some eye hooks in the frame and hook the tarps thru the grommets and a few pcs of fire wood or a couple bricks on the ground to hold them when they are down.

I am a big fan of diagonal bracing on the walls. Just make a big x between the vertical posts. I have some concrete covered 1x12s left over from when they poured my footings long ago. Braces on the sides and back really stiffen things up and still lets the air flow.

If you use treated 4x4 post and bury them in the ground (like the fence posts) they won't move, if they don't move, and the roof is properly secured to the posts, then the whole structure can't move. No cross bracing will be necessary, although it won't hurt.

I have 4 PT 4x4 uprights buried in the ground and the bracing did make a difference.

Looks slightly better with some wood under it. Oak, cherry and maple for 2015/2016 season.

564C52D5-D2B4-44E3-958A-2BAFDD0E6BC0_zpsvpo6atu7.jpg

Looks like you will get plenty of wind. You need to fill it up to the top.

Wow! Why did you decide to scrap the whole thing?

You were so close to having a decent structure, why did you quit?

I tore it down because it didn't cover enough wood and I wasn't happy with the design. Making it larger would have increased the size of something that I didn't like for different reasons. If I do another it will be built different, definitely larger/deeper.

Keeping it this way (using roofing as cover I can lay on stacks) gives me more flexibility to move it around in the future. I know it sounds nuts but I just didn't like what I had built.

I sure like the stash of wood you are setting up. How much so far? 3+ cords?

I tore it down because it didn't cover enough wood and I wasn't happy with the design. Making it larger would have increased the size of something that I didn't like for different reasons. If I do another it will be built different, definitely larger/deeper.

Keeping it this way (using roofing as cover I can lay on stacks) gives me more flexibility to move it around in the future. I know it sounds nuts but I just didn't like what I had built.

You could have made a couple different changes and it would have been easy to add on to it later so you would end up with a long shed like Carbon Liberator. Regroup and try again later.

I sure like the stash of wood you are setting up. How much so far? 3+ cords?

What you see is probably 2 cords max. There is another 1.25 elsewhere. I'm feeling set for 2 more winters like this one although I really didn't pay attention to how much I burned this year. It looks like a ridiculous amount of wood in my yard to anybody other than guys like us.

I'm keeping my eye out for more...never can have enough.

What you see is probably 2 cords max. There is another 1.25 elsewhere. I'm feeling set for 2 more winters like this one although I really didn't pay attention to how much I burned this year. It looks like a ridiculous amount of wood in my yard to anybody other than guys like us.

I'm keeping my eye out for more...never can have enough.
Looks like more than that if there's 3 rows all the way down and 4 feet high. Either way keep piling it up.

Looks like more than that if there's 3 rows all the way down and 4 feet high.

The middle section under the roofing panels is only double-stacked since some of the wetter wood there needs more circulation between now and 2015 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.