General install question - insert & fireplace with heatilator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Treacherous

Minister of Fire
May 13, 2010
US
My parents are considering replacement of their old Quaker stove and would like to go back to using their fireplace with a new insert. This fireplace hasn't had significant use in 30 years. The house was built in early 70's and has a heatilator in it.

Will insert venting route through the gaps in existing heatilator pipe or does much of this have to be cut out? I think my mom said gap between pipes was 6".

Thanks!

HPIM4829.jpg

HPIM4830.jpg

Go to your local hearth shop & see if they have a scrap of 6" liner left over
from an install & maybe they'll let you have it for cheap or even free.
That way you can see if it'll fit in there.
If it doesn't, you'll either hafta drop down to a 5.5" liner or do some cutting...

Also check your fireplace damper area for clearance. When I considered an insert for my heatform I was going to cut the tubes out anyways to let some of that trapped heat out.

Status
Not open for further replies.