General plumbing questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevindauch

Feb 7, 2008
Marcy NY
Hi Everyone,
I've been lurking here for a few months and the information has been just great. Now I have made up my mind on which gassifier to buy. I'm now in the process of purchasing a Tarm Solo 40 with the storage. I've received lots of info from Tarm as far as how to hook the boiler into the system. I do have some general plumbing questions though.
1) I already have a pressure reducing valve and back flow preventer. Do I need a second for the Tarm unit of can I just put a tee after the one that I presently have?
2) I'm putting in ball valves between the Tarm and the manifold and the oil boiler and the manifold on both supply and return lines. I'm doing this for redundancy. If I ever have a problem with one, I can isolate it completely from the system. When putting in boiler drains near the isolation valves, where should the boiler drain go, before the ball valve or after?
3) I'm probably going to go with Webstone 50615 combined ball valve and boiler drain valves. Does anyone have a opinion on these combination valves?

Squeezle Bob said:
Hi Everyone,
I've been lurking here for a few months and the information has been just great. Now I have made up my mind on which gassifier to buy. I'm now in the process of purchasing a Tarm Solo 40 with the storage. I've received lots of info from Tarm as far as how to hook the boiler into the system. I do have some general plumbing questions though.
1) I already have a pressure reducing valve and back flow preventer. Do I need a second for the Tarm unit of can I just put a tee after the one that I presently have?
2) I'm putting in ball valves between the Tarm and the manifold and the oil boiler and the manifold on both supply and return lines. I'm doing this for redundancy. If I ever have a problem with one, I can isolate it completely from the system. When putting in boiler drains near the isolation valves, where should the boiler drain go, before the ball valve or after?
3) I'm probably going to go with Webstone 50615 combined ball valve and boiler drain valves. Does anyone have a opinion on these combination valves?

1: You don't need a second PRV and BFP if the piping is common

2: Put the boiler drain on the side you want to drain.

3: Webstone valves rock. We use their circulator isolation flanges with the integral drain.

Thanks Heaterman.
I'm planning on putting in Webstone 50613 3/4" ball valve with integral drain valves in on the return lines for each zone. I was not planning on putting in isolation flanges with integral drains though, just the plain isolation flanges. Is there any reason that I should look at getting the isolation flanges with integral drains?

Squeezle Bob said:
Thanks Heaterman.
I'm planning on putting in Webstone 50613 3/4" ball valve with integral drain valves in on the return lines for each zone. I was not planning on putting in isolation flanges with integral drains though, just the plain isolation flanges. Is there any reason that I should look at getting the isolation flanges with integral drains?

I'm assuming here again that you are seeking to isolate the circ and manifold........in which case.........

It depends on your manifold. The ones we use have an isolation valve on each loop on both supply and return. (very helpful for purging) This eliminates the need of a ball valve on the return side of the main going back to the boiler because you can shut off all the loops. The circ of course goes on the supply side and is really the only thing you need to be able to take out for service. Putting you sio/purge valve on each side of the circ allows you to purge not only the loops but the zone piping also. Connect your purge hose to the supply side of the circ and the drain hose to the suction side and you can blow everything connected with that zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.