General Question - Ash buildup and performance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

check212

Jul 3, 2014
Greenville, SC
It's my first year burning and I have a general question about removing the ashes. It seems like when the ashes buildup it doesn't get as warm in my bedroom which is farther away. Haven't been burning long enough to know if it's based on other factors, but temp as stayed around the same, and that's the only thing that has changed. I cleaned it out last night and will test tonight, but it's going to be warmer outside. Thanks.

I suspect other factors are in play . . . and not the ashes.

Ashes pretty much help in relighting the fire by insulating coals . . . and provides insulation to the base of the stove.

A little bit of ashes in the bottom of the firebox usually help to keep the firebox temps up and ensure a clean and efficient burn. However, the Escape 1800 does not have the largest firebox and when you have 2" and more of ashes in there you will have a hard time loading enough wood. Maybe that's the reason you get not as much heat out if it.

Status
Not open for further replies.