General questions about brands

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DHag

Jan 9, 2012
SW Iowa
I like to buy stuff where I can put my hands on it and see it, before I buy. I particularly like to buy from Menards in our area. They carry "Vogelzang" stoves, and have them on display. They seem to be what we are looking for in features. (I have another thread going to help determine the features I need.)

Is Vogelzang a good brand that will last when properly maintained?

Is there a "stand-out" brand? That is, a brand that is top-notch quality, yet doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Are there any "stay away" brands to watch out for?

Voglezang EPA stoves are ok, but made in China and at the lower end of the spectrum. If you go to a HomeDepot you may see either Englander (also sold under TimberLine and Summer's Heat) or Century stoves. There are many other brands out there. Some made in US (ie: Englander, Buck, Lopi, Avalon, Quadrafire) or Canada (Regency, Pacific Energy, Osburn, Drolet, Napoleon, etc.).

I'd stay away from the old Vogelzang box stoves (still sold at Menards), but the new EPA stoves are a pretty good deal. I have the Performer which I got on sale for $699. Here's a link to a used one in our area for only $375: http://madison.craigslist.org/app/2787791172.html. I'm totally happy with it at this point. It cranks out the heat, doesn't use much wood, has long burn times, ... I don't know what else you'd want a stove to do.

I modified the base on mine to fit into our fireplace.

2012-01-08_09-00-43_279.jpg

Good to mention the Performer. It offers a nice value at that sale price. What you get with some of the other stoves mentioned is thicker steel, or a better baffle system. Other differences might be a flue bypass, convective jacket for closer clearances, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.