General questions and one rant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stoichiometry

Oct 31, 2010
Near the ADKs, NY
Good morning!

Just a few questions -- my hearth is almost done -- and I'll post pics soon.

(1) How should I fasten two lengths of black chimney pipe together? zip screws or pop-rivets and/or high temp RTV?
(2) Should I calk the area between where my triple wall enters the cabin and the wall thimble? Specifically this is the interior portion of the triple pipe and the inner-edge of the wall thimble.

Ok -- now some englander specific questions:
(1) should I take any special precautions on the first few fires? [temp ranges, etc??]

Now for a question regarding discrepancies about the englander manual:
There is a discrepncy in the manual regarding the distance from black pipe to side wall. On page 6 of the nc13 manual it states the distance between the wall and black pipe can be 13 inches. Then on page 11, it states minimum distances twice.

"You will need to maintain eighteen inches (18”) of
clearance from the ceiling and thirteen inches (13.0”) from the wall when using single wall chimney connector."

Then, in the installation portion:
"(6). A clearance of 18 inches (18”) between the single wall stovepipe and combustible materials is
required. Check with authorities having jurisdiction in your area with any questions. "

The local authorities defer to the manual, now I am chasing my tail .... help?

[FWIW - My wall is 6 inch wood stud, layer of 1/2 inch sheetrock, then 1/2 layer of cement board, with 1/2 slate tile on top of that]. I've installed a rustic mantel shelf out of wood behind the stove @ about 14 inches.... quite frankly, I need to know just how far the black pipe needs to be from the shelf. I've designed it for the 13 inch (plus one inch) numbers ...

Kindly,
Matt

You may well find that you need or want to disassemble the pipe at some point–-there are numerous reasons--which will make you happy that you utilized screws in the pipe sections.

Single wall pipe needs to be 18" from combustibles regardless of whether is the wall or the shelf. You could add a stove pipe heat shield at the section closest to the shelf, or perhaps cut back the shelf to increase clearance there.

What is the hearth going to be made of? This stove has some stiff requirements there.

BeGreen,

Per your recommendations (eg I couldn't acquire one inch Micore), I decided to go with:
a steel 2x4 base (4 inch height of airspace) - (dimensions are 4 feet wide by 5 feet deep)
then heavy gauge metal pop-riveted to frame,
then two layers of 1/2 inch cement board,
then thin-set,
followed by slate tiles. The base is done (and looks pretty nice I might add),

and am finishing the wall (hence my questions).

Where is a good sourve for stove pipe heat shields?

Kindly,
M

BeGreen said:
Single wall pipe needs to be 18" from combustibles regardless of whether is the wall or the shelf. You could add a stove pipe heat shield at the section closest to the shelf, or perhaps cut back the shelf to increase clearance there.

What is the hearth going to be made of? This stove has some stiff requirements there.

Status
Not open for further replies.