Generator and my Castile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

smalltown

Minister of Fire
Oct 1, 2008
Western Maine
We have had two multiday power outages in one week. My backup generator is an 8KW Generac that runs everything I want with the exception of my home computer and my Castile pellet stove. I realize that the Generac must not be outputting a clean enough waveform to keep the Castile or computer happy so I was wondering if there is any converter that I could plug into my wall outlet and the plug my Castile and computer into the converter.
Maybe a UPS with pure sinewave might work, but not sure about it and the APC web site doesn't seem to address this.
Any thoughts?

Not how it works. I use AIMS 1250 with 200ah of batteries. If that is not long enough small 1k Inverter Genny. Sportsman. Put Kill a Watt on it and monitor the voltage or OScope. But if it's not clean power it's gamble.

If you go Inverter/Battery make sure the generator can charge and power the stove. I should have got 2k genny for that. So it can't power the inverter/batteries and stove.

Thanks Dataman. I was hoping that with the UPS on a generator that it would clean up the AC signal without switching to the internal battery. Sounds like your saying it won't do that.

Use your generator to charge the less sensitive UPS battery. Then the UPS can make clean power for the sensitive devices.

It certainly can work this way. I think dataman misunderstood.? Or is he saying that the generator can’t run a battery charger?

Reactions: Mt Bob
Use your generator to charge the less sensitive UPS battery. Then the UPS can make clean power for the sensitive devices.

It certainly can work this way. I think dataman misunderstood.? Or is he saying that the generator can’t run a battery charger?

People use these “solar generators” that are just battery packs. They can be charged with solar panels or AC power from a genset while simultaneously discharging clean AC power to your devices.

Smart UPS brands have an in-built automatic voltage regulator (AVR). You want Pure Sine wave too. Most have Simulated Sine wave. What that will do to your pellet stove? Better off with Inverter Generator I should think. Or Inverter/Charger with Batteries. Why risk it?