Generator Deal At The Grocery Store

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
wow... that is one HECK of a deal!

If there weren't so many other things to get for the new house (and we didn't have a 8kW propane generac), i'd be jumping all over this.

If I had an 8k propane Generac I wouldn't care what they were selling at the grocery store. :lol: I have 12K available between the two new and the one old gennys but most of the stuff is handled fine by the little 2500 continuous, which just sips gas, and the others just get busted off for higher current needs. In fact the old 4,800 watt one hasn't been called into play in years. Just run to make sure it still starts.

But with a total invested in them of $405 I can live with’em.

I have a little Honda 2000 that I use for my chain saw, splitter and push lawn mower; for camping; and in the rare instances when the power goes out (just essentials: freezer, TV, coffee pot). It wasn't cheap -- $849 or so.

For lumberjacking, I haul everything in a wagon behind the John Deere lawn mower. For lawn mowing, I pull it to my work area in a kid's wagon. Maybe I look silly mowing, but hey... it works for me.

I've had the Honda for probably 6 years, and I've only ever changed the oil. Same spark plug. Starts every time.

Now I've probably jinxed it.

Nancy

PopCrackleSnap said:
I have a little Honda 2000 that I use for my chain saw, splitter and push lawn mower; for camping; and in the rare instances when the power goes out (just essentials: freezer, TV, coffee pot). It wasn't cheap -- $849 or so.

For lumberjacking, I haul everything in a wagon behind the John Deere lawn mower. For lawn mowing, I pull it to my work area in a kid's wagon. Maybe I look silly mowing, but hey... it works for me.

I've had the Honda for probably 6 years, and I've only ever changed the oil. Same spark plug. Starts every time.

Now I've probably jinxed it.

Nancy

OK . . . I'm confused . . . maybe it's the fact that I got up early today when my possessed stove started beeping for no apparentl reason.

I'm guessing you use the generator to work on the wood pile with an electric chainsaw and splitter . . . I'm guessing you don't use a gas powered saw or splitter . . . and then most likely don't really do any serious "lumber jacking" since I have yet to hear of anyone using an electric chainsaw to cut down a tree.

What I can't figure out is the lawn mower . . . assuming you might have a battery powered/electric lawm mower . . . again a very odd thing to see here in Maine with larger lawns . . . but what I can't figure out is why you don't run the power off the house or use the battery . . . unless you're off the grid . . . which would then kindof, sortof make sense . . . except that I would think it would make more sense to replace the battery/electric mower with a gasoline powered engine.

Again . . . being confused . . . maybe it's just me.

Jake,

I understand your confusion. I have 3 acres, of which I mow maybe half, mostly with a John Deere riding mower.

The electric mower is for trimming around the house. Some of that, I can reach with an extension cord. But, there are places far removed from the house that are too tight a fit for the John Deere, and that's where the wagon and the generator come in.

As for the chain saw and the splitter, I use the term "lumberjacking" with tongue firmly planted in cheek. No, I will not be felling any trees with my trusty Craftsman. But I am becoming somewhat adept at bucking and splitting trees that I have somebody else drop for me.

My dad would no doubt have fits with my arrangements. He was a McCulloch (sp?) dealer for a while when I was a kid. I got to paint parts of saws he was rebuilding, in bright McCulloch yellow. What ever happened to those saws, anyway?

Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.