1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Generator Information

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Newburydave, Oct 14, 2012.

1. DirtyDave

DirtyDave Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    western wa
    in my use when power is out, my genny rarely surges in rpms. Maybe since I use those flourecent screw ins and the wife is miser?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. JohnnyB_44

JohnnyB_44 Member

Loc:
    Warkworth, Ontario, Canada
    Hi All - just to muddy the waters a bit; we had a late season ice storm up here in Central Ontario last Friday - our power was out from Friday 9am to Sunday 9pm. Broke out my champion 3000/4000 genny which ran computer, microwave, fridge, lights, flat screen TV OK but wouldn't run my ECO-65 pellet stove!!! It started up OK, but the fans sounded like a bag of bolts & the room convection fan would hardly run. Had to shut it down. For next time, should I be putting a pure sine wave inverter between the genny & the stove?? Appreciate your thoughts.
  3. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    Yup, try something like the ups in my sig. it conditions wall power, and is pure sine on its battery (unplugged/not running on generator), so the conditioner should clean up the generator a ton.
  4. JohnnyB_44

JohnnyB_44 Member

Loc:
    Warkworth, Ontario, Canada
    Thanks! My local Staples has that UPS on special right now, so will probably get one soon.
  5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Let us know how it works. Most UPS go nuts on generator power.
  6. Woody1911a1

Woody1911a1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma

please do ! there's been so many threads about this with speculation one way and the other , but no proof . someone's gotta take one for the team :)
  7. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    My cheap chinese inverter runs through my ups to.the stove without issue. There are generator settings on these units that will allow more fluctuation before switching to battery power.