Generator Interlock Switch Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougsey

Feeling the Heat
Aug 3, 2006
Epping, NH
For those of you using the generator interlock switch where you turn off your main and turn on the generator
breaker...

How do you know when street power returns?

Dougsey said:
For those of you using the generator interlock switch where you turn off your main and turn on the generator
breaker...

How do you know when street power returns?

Good question....I guess there must be a way to hook up a light or a buzzer across the incoming line to send a signal.

I live in suburban area with lots of houses, and a street light right out front, so at night I just looks out the window. But during the day I would typically look for 120VAC from main breaker lugs (that connect to the Utility) to neutral. This requires removing the breaker panel cover.

I like Mac's idea of a light, connected on the Utility side. Could even use a pair of neon test lights permanently wired on each Main lug to the neutral bar. Drill a couple of small holes in the side of the panel and epoxy the test lamps in place for easy viewing without removing the cover. Would have to put in-line fuse holders as close to the main lugs as possible to come close to being to code.

By using two lamps you can be sure that both legs have been restored.

That's a good question. I have an assisted living place next to me and I can see their sodium lights come on but, I like the idea of a power on light. I think I would make a panel with a fuse and mount it in my pantry. It's right above the breaker box. That way the lights wouldn't bother me. I'm sure you could find a spot on a wall where it wouldn't bother anyone.
I would use an outside electrical outlet box (or an in-wall old work box if built in) and make a front panel out of plastic and mount two red LED's in it. (One for each leg). Inside I would fuse each one for safety. Remember, if you're doing both legs in the box, you have 240 volts available so care must be taken. Maybe one of the electricians here can make this idea legal?

Chan

I lean one of those pen-style voltage detectors against the incoming conduit to the panel.
It buzzes when there is voltage.
I checked out how to lean/tape it so it buzzes when there is power and wrote myself a little note.
The battery seems to last a long time.

I use a "PowerBACK" alarm from Reliance. You just wrap the cable from it around the main power cable coming into your circuit panel and an alarm sounds when the power comes back on.

PowerBACK Link

Attachments

• DSCN0199.jpg
    DSCN0199.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 657
warmncozy said:
I use a "PowerBACK" alarm from Reliance. You just wrap the cable from it around the main power cable coming into your circuit panel and an alarm sounds when the power comes back on.

PowerBACK Link

Thanks for the tip of the day.

Its just that easy... i love this place

Here at the ranch we have a 20KW diesel gen set that can power everything if need be.
I usually use the little coleman 1700 to run the stoves and some propane lights.
Outages are rarely a long event here.

Did the 20 KW back when the Y2K thing was scaring the hell out of everyone.

My gen set runs through a 400 amp transfer switch (what you are calling an interlock)

The power comes from the meter through the TF switch then to a 400 amp dual disconnect breaker box that ahs two 200 amp breakers.

Then it flows to either the upstairs or downstairs service entrance panel.

The TF switch can handle both services and there is A VERY VISBLE OUTSIDE LIGHT THAT IS HOOKED UP TO SHORE POWER ONLY.

When the TF switch is moved to the other position the gen set handles the load.

Set this thing up in the fall of 99, ran it, checked it out and then have rarely used it.

Believe me a 400 amp transfer switch is Bloody well spendy.

Snowy

warmncozy, That's perfect!

Thanks everyone.

EDIT: Does that alarm sound until you hit a button?

[quote author="warmncozy" date="1267504322"]I use a "PowerBACK" alarm from Reliance. You just wrap the cable from it around the main power cable coming into your circuit panel and an alarm sounds when the power comes back on.

PowerBACK Link[/quote

I see you have the Interlockit. Cheapest legal way to feed your box. Thanks for the link...That is a great idea! Simple too.

Chan

I have a sodium "security" light on the pole outside. It's provided by the power company (for $5/month).
It's wired ahead of the meter, and makes for a very bright indicator. OK, I have to wait 'til dark. The barns are
on another main too, so I can usually see light somewhere. :)

Dougsey said:
warmncozy, That's perfect!

Thanks everyone.

EDIT: Does that alarm sound until you hit a button?

Yes. It sounds until you shut it off. (or the battery runs out)
I would shut it off if I left the house for any length of time and turn it on when I returned.

warmncozy said:

PowerBACK Link

Very good solution. Way better then messing around with what I was thinking. I found a pdf that shows how easy it installs.

http://www.nooutage.com/pdf/RelianceControls_THP108.pdf

I found it for $39 from on a few web sites.

If anyone needs one and wants to save shipping costs I got it for $35 at Lowe's. They don't carry it, but they order it for you. It took 3 days for it to come in. There's also an Electrical Supply house in Manchester (NH) that carries them if you're from around here.

Crap... I ordered one online for $48 including shipping.

What's the name of the supply house in Manch?

Dougsey said:
Crap... I ordered one online for $48 including shipping.

What's the name of the supply house in Manch?

Independent Electric Supply. My electrician told me they carry them after I had already ordered mine from Lowes so I can't verify it.

They're on Gay St. in the Brown Ave industrial park.

I installed it this morning. It was pretty easy. I've found I had to use some electrical tape to hold on the sensor wire. There wasn't room to install it on top so I put it on the side of the panel which worked fine. The siren is pretty wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.