Generators and Pellet stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ7960

Dec 8, 2008
Upstate NY
aol
Hi all. I was reading an old topic regarding using generators for pellet stoves. Something about "pure sine" or something like that. My question is more general. If you were to hook up the generator to the house, does it affect the electronics of the pellet stove?

I have no idea how sensitive pellet electronics are to that sort of thing but I guess to be safe make sure you have an inverter style generator, or a good built in standby generator.

TJ7960 said:
Thanks. I thinking in my certainly non electrician mind, that wouldn't the circut breaker trip if the power was "uneven"?

Nope, a circuit breaker trips because you are trying to use more amperage than the breaker will allow.

Most generators even the cheap ones keep the voltage steady some times more so then the power lines depending on where you live. Brown outs are a common thing at my house. If you are worried you can get an APC or line voltage conditioner for the stove that will cut the power if the voltage is to high or low.

It usually isn't a matter of the voltage being too high or too low coming from a generator (although a malfunctioning or improperly adjusted one can and if severe enough it will cause issues) , it is the fact that most of them produce electricity that contains a lot of electrical noise. It is the noise that produces most of the issues with electronics. That is why it is important to get the correct kind or use various devices to filter the power produced by one.

You should look for one that produces a true sine wave and has automatic voltage regulation. They frequently will be advertised as being electronics or computer friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.