Georgia Pacific Densglass Gold, another hearth option??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishboat

Dec 2, 2006
Wisconsin
As I look for the right materials to build my hearth I ran across GP's Densglass Gold.

Their literature says "noncombustable". R value is 0.56 for the 1/2 inch or 0.67 for 5/8 inch. Since Micore is a bit hard to track down so far does anyone have any thoughts on this material? The material is available ay Menard's for around $25 for a 4 x 8 sheet.

Here's some links(see the "Specs/Submittals" ICC report...:

http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pid=4674

The stove manual doesn't say anything about a required R value for the hearth. I'm targeting an R around 1.5-2. Probably overkill, but that's OK by me. Most of the R will be coming from multiple layers of durock...along with the piece of galvanized flashing tucked in.

bump...any thoughts?

I'm thinking of using one or two layers of this material it as a "higher R than durock" filler as I build the hearth up around 10 inches off the subfloor. It would be laminated between layers of durock on top & bottom. The material seems very stiff.

The material you are looking at is NOT made for floors!

Welcome aboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.