Geospring HPWH being discontinued

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Good info here, but do keep in mind that when I called three plumbers to get my 80 gal HPWH installed 5 years ago, two of them bent my ear at length about how awful they were, one refused to install it, the other said I would be calling him back in a year to take it out, and I would have to pay him twice.

The third guy said sure, did it, and cashed the check. LOL.

What don't they like about it.

Thank you for the heads up! It will basically make it a free water heater, we will just have to pay the plumber to install it.
Ahh,... no <>.

They're about $1200 at Lowes, self installed. Expect $1800+ from plumber plus install. But the rebate is after that :).

Shopping tip: this HPWH, like many other items, is "regional priced for demand". That means I could drive across the state line and save $100-300. Check the web site and force a new location by entering a different store zip code:
Lowes Maine = $1200
Lowes NY = $1300
Lowes CT = $ 900

Ahh,... no <>.

They're about $1200 at Lowes, self installed. Expect $1800+ from plumber plus install. But the rebate is after that :).

Shopping tip: this HPWH, like many other items, is "regional priced for demand". That means I could drive across the state line and save $100-300. Check the web site and force a new location by entering a different store zip code:
Lowes Maine = $1200
Lowes NY = $1300
Lowes CT = $ 900

I saw 50 gallon models on home depot, closer than Lowe's, under $500. I doubt we would go for the cheapest HPWH, but there are models under $1,000. We know the rebate will take time to get reimbursed, but that's ok.

I saw 50 gallon models on home depot, closer than Lowe's, under $500. I doubt we would go for the cheapest HPWH, but there are models under $1,000. We know the rebate will take time to get reimbursed, but that's ok.
Please check that again. I think you're looking at the traditional electric resistance models.

Please check that again. I think you're looking at the traditional electric resistance models.

You are absolutely right, I was mistaken. Still, I think we will get a hybrid heater in a few months. Other home renovations have been gobbling up money.

Ahh,... no <>.

Lowes Maine = $1200
Lowes NY = $1300
Lowes CT = $ 900

The pricing is actually based on instant rebates from each states energy efficiency fund. CT offers the rebate instantly on any HPWH and anyone can drive here and but it and buy it. I tipped off a member here from Long Island that took over the ferry here and saved $700 on one.

The Energy efficient fund in CT Energize CT is flooded with money as everyone pays a surcharge on there gas/electric bill to fund it but few use it.

I got my Geospring for free from them in addition to a check for 3k for my solar panels. They also did a home energy audit and gave me about 2k in energy efficient upgrades which included sealing all my ductwork and tons of free insulation. Tons of money in the fund but few take advantage of it.

The pricing is actually based on instant rebates from each states energy efficiency fund. CT offers the rebate instantly on any HPWH and anyone can drive here and but it and buy it. I tipped off a member here from Long Island that took over the ferry here and saved $700 on one.

The Energy efficient fund in CT Energize CT is flooded with money as everyone pays a surcharge on there gas/electric bill to fund it but few use it.

I got my Geospring for free from them in addition to a check for 3k for my solar panels. They also did a home energy audit and gave me about 2k in energy efficient upgrades which included sealing all my ductwork and tons of free insulation. Tons of money in the fund but few take advantage of it.

So the $1,099 quoted on Home depot is after the rebate? As in without the rebate the price is $1,849? Efficiency Maine has similar programs I've been reading about. Our house has far more damage than the selling agents disclosed, so they will pay for the repairs, eventually. We are exploring our options for repairing the damage. It seems that different programs in Maine offer assistance for this kind of thing, which I think we will take.

Installed mine early 2015, think it's a whirlpool unit from Lowes. Always in heat pump mode, but there is only two of us. Wood furnace in the same room so there is plenty of excess heat - at least in the heating season. The dehumidification is nice in the summer. As far as the plumbers that don't like them, they are more complicated and I found that lowes offered an extended warranty (additional 8 or 9 years) that was priced the same as a conventional water heater, under a hundred bucks. I installed it myself, really no different then installing a regular electric water heater. Love it, the energy savings are real and I'd never go back to a conventional water heater. I think someone asked about tankless, we have a gas fired unit at work, sized about the same as a homeowner type. I think the plumbers have been back to fix it a half a dozen times in the first year or two of use.

What don't they like about it.

Nothing coherent. Basically said it wouldn't work, it wouldn't save money, and it wouldn't last.