get me seasoned! (new to wood)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I had a lengthy "this is how I stack wood" post typed up and the website hung for some reason.<sigh>

Anyhow, I'll try it again...

The first thing I do is make my bottom support as level lengthwise and crosswise as I possibly can. I stack on 2"x4"x12's lain across five 8x16 inch hollow concrete blocks. A slight depression in the center of the support is ok.

I start stacking in the middle of the support. As I start stacking a pile it will get to a height where I naturally start spreading the pile's base out a little more...then work on the height a little more....spread it out more...work on the height some more....etc.,. By starting from the middle this causes the stack to lean inward against itself. I use cribs (log cabin cross stacking) at the ends of my stacks and they too lean in a bit against the pile...I build them up as I build the pile itself....sometimes the center of the pile might be a foot or two taller than what the ends are as I build the stack.

As I stack I try to center the splits on the support. My wood lengths are not exact...some shorter, some longer so I don't strive for a "flush" side but rather a balanced stack that will be stable. Even trying to keep things even splits will get out of line and start veering off to a side. This is where being able to walk all around the stack is nice. I'll back off and check the stack from the end. When I figure out where a split is sticking too far out in one direction or another I'll tap it in towards the other side using another split. I'll get the out of line splits adjusted and resume stacking. I do this eyeballing of the stack several times as I build the stack.

During the stacking process I will stop all along and gently rock the stack side to side to "settle the splits in" a bit.

Stack your wood with the barkside up. If you stack the wood with the bark on the bottom it will literally form a cup that will hold water against the wood...especially as the wood dries and the bark separates...it will be a cup sitting there waiting to catch water. With the bark on top it will act like a miniature roof that will let the water run off the wood.

I like the stacks to be broadside to the prevailing winds.

This is some of what I do with my stacks...I'm no pro, matter of fact this is my first year stacking...so take what I say with a grain of salt! :)

Best wishes,
Ed

spam said:
ok now i get it!!! how the heack do you guys get your stacks so neat and square looking????

Do like Zap does. A square and a level. But then, he also uses t-posts but we're trying to break him of that.

Backwoods Savage said:
spam said:
ok now i get it!!! how the heack do you guys get your stacks so neat and square looking????

Do like Zap does. A square and a level. But then, he also uses t-posts but we're trying to break him of that.

And a hand planer...

you guys are so "old school"...use your GPS to align the rows...make sure they are out in the open so we can see them from GiggleEarth.

Gee, I guess I am old fashioned.

spam said:

You may notice that I don't post any pics of my wood seasoning stacks . . . they sometimes look like a drunken Irishman stacked them . . . well at least half of that last statement is true. ;) :)

Split small, put all your pine, poplar, ash, elm, or other fast-drying woods in one stack/pile/side and use those woods FIRST in the winter.

FYI, I used about 2.5 cords my first winter and alot of that was wasted due to poor technique or poor seasoning (i.e. split in October). I think 2.5 cords will hold a medium or small stove for 3-4 months depending on your burning habits.

This year, I'm expecting far much continuous burning and much more heat output - but I still think I'll only burn about 3.5 cords over the course of 5 months.

Intheswamp said:
Stack your wood with the barkside up. If you stack the wood with the bark on the bottom it will literally form a cup that will hold water against the wood...especially as the wood dries and the bark separates...it will be a cup sitting there waiting to catch water. With the bark on top it will act like a miniature roof that will let the water run off the wood.
Best wishes,
Ed

Crap. Lord only knows how much of my wood is barkside bottom. I have alot of smooth-bark wood so I would stack it on whatever side had the most stability and non-slip edge for the next piece up.

Status
Not open for further replies.