Get ready east coast!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

owingsia

Aug 12, 2013
Saluda VA
I know that this is a dangerous storm and hope everyone stays safe. I am also ready with my saw to go get wood. I know many people will have downed trees they need out of yards etc... I am ready to go and get the firewood.

Locally we are only expecting 30MPH winds just enough to take down some dead trees.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Latest I saw was its staying further out to sea. Hopefully anyway. All this rain is messin' with my paycheck and making a mess of my job site. My saws are ready to go though

I know that this is a dangerous storm and hope everyone stays safe. I am also ready with my saw to go get wood. I know many people will have downed trees they need out of yards etc... I am ready to go and get the firewood.

Locally we are only expecting 30MPH winds just enough to take down some dead trees.

No need to panic here - 4 years ahead and counting.

bob

Where I live, we had almost 19 inches of rainfall over the previous week. We had a little break between yesterday and today, but tomorrow we are expecting 5 or 6 inches of rain. Add to it the already saturated ground and we will be expecting quite a few more mud slides. Several roads were closed yesterday due to this.

I have one in my back yard where I have my firewood, and the mud is slowly making it's way towards this years wood. The last time I looked it was about a foot and a half away from it. As a precautionary measure I changed out the 16 by 15 foot piece of plastic that left the ends of the pile open to a 30 by 15 foot piece and wrapped it to the ground. That way no mud will get on the wood, hopefully, if it goes further.

My chainsaws are always ready to go, with extra sharpened chains and plenty of fuel mix and bar oil. Also knee boots and waders just in case!<>

I'm starting to think the latest storm missed this area. It's misting more than anything and the winds don't seem to be any worse than normal for this time of year. They're calling for a little better than 2 inches of rain yet to come, with what looks like the majority coming this evening. They're saying Localized flooding is expected for this evening.

I have a couple of hummingbird stragglers. They've determined my porch is the best place to take shelter either sitting at the feeders or on some wiring near the roof. Maybe they're waiting for a break in the weather before they leave. But that won't be until at least Monday, likely Tuesday. I hope they don't decide to overwinter here!

Since I have a third of a cord of firewood already in the house, divided in two for either side of the wood stove, I'm not even concerned about staying warm.==c

I'm not to that point of burning yet, even though it's a real feel of 42* right now. It will warm back up next week, I'll wait as long as I can. Rain just keeps falling here, now I have to work Sunday since we missed today and tomorrow :confused:. I'm sitting here drinking a hot cup of coffee with my beanie hat and hoodie on, good to go

Status
Not open for further replies.