Get Ready for the Storm Northeast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just drove home from Boston. Started snowing there around 2:00. It was sticking to 95 through northern MA and NH. It took until South Berwick to drive out of it.

First thing I did when I got home was shovel the ashes and start a fire. It's supposed to be COLD after this thing is over (Sat. through Tues).

Do you see in those maps where it says 3.3 ... right in the middle of the Island, in red???

Welcome to Icey Hollow !!

:eek:

Startin' to pick up a bit now. By tomorrow it will look like a different world than the one we last saw. Stay warm in the Hollow.

Startin' to pick up a bit now. By tomorrow it will look like a different world than the one we last saw. Stay warm in the Hollow.

I am not worried about being warm, trust me ;)

On a well, laundry just about done, water stocked up.

crap, looks like we are only gonna get a sprinkle.

Nothing is more fun than watching Long Islanders insist on going out for a hot shave or 7-11 coffee in a blizzard because they drive a Hummer. Cars everywhere. It causes me to feel bad for them..then I remember they had days to plan for this. Only people on the road should be first responders and guys from Central NY on LI for a visit.

Apparently the ability to do that makes it worth it :rolleyes:. My Cherokee that I bought as third vehicle does fine but I don't need to block the plows in the middle of a storm. Most everything can wait. Easy on the LI'ers we ain't a very homogenous group ;lol.

At least send a little bit our way! The start of the heavy stuff seems to have been pushed back to 3:00 a.m. for NW New Jersey... At least for our neck of the woods this is turning out to be much ado about nothing. I may have to go to work tomorrow after all! !!!

At least send a little bit our way! The start of the heavy stuff seems to have been pushed back to 3:00 a.m. for NW New Jersey... At least for our neck of the woods this is turning out to be much ado about nothing. I may have to go to work tomorrow after all! !!!
It's strange, been snowing all day and pretty hard now but I can still see my driveway. I don't know where it's going. Guess I'll find out in the morning.

A meteorologist just described the upcoming conditions as a "wet pasty thunder storm". Sounds gross.

Monday and Tuesday. Bring in those pellet bags and firewood.

Eastern LI will get whacked. Hopefully they are wrong on the totals.

View attachment 151665
Pellets at parents house are ready, by the front door. Brought in the Somersets for premium fire power.
View attachment 151666

The cat doesn't care much about it though, sleeps through it all as long as it is nice and warm.
View attachment 151667
I have my Envi blocks stacked up in the garage and ready. As of 11pm it looks like we have at least 8" in Islip NY. They are predicting another 20-30". Gas lines were 5-10 cars at all stations in the afternoon. Stores stripped clean.
All roads closed now.
Going to keep feeding the stove all night.

Don't overfeed the stove. Those Envi blocks pack a punch.

5 AM. Still snowing.

20150127_045452.jpg

Yup, still snowing here in my S/W corner of Ct at 7:25 am......

Sorry NJ folks-It's all my fault-week's worth of wood inside, generator and snowblower gassed up and ready-surefire guarantee nothing would happen here!

Bastardi "thur-fri storm cuts se, then sun-mon s.plains to ne. pattern of storms and rumors of storms, major cold."

Yeah - it looks like we're supposed to get some measurable snow on Friday and then it's gonna get good and cold.

I love my stove. I tried to give it a hug this morning but it was too hot. ()

Reactions: firefighterjake
just thought about the roof over my pic to the left. we always seem to lose shingles on a steeply pitched roof?!? not a big deal, but a pain in the ssa. hell the house is 145 years old. it will probably make it fine?

Last edited:
Apparently the ability to do that makes it worth it :rolleyes:. My Cherokee that I bought as third vehicle does fine but I don't need to block the plows in the middle of a storm. Most everything can wait. Easy on the LI'ers we ain't a very homogenous group ;lol.

Im a LI Native! I know all about it

workin toward 2 hours of lt wind and flurries, we got the dry slot in noreast Plymouth co. wish I could start to clean up now. I've got a feeling it would be futile.

Im a LI Native! I know all about it
Ah now in Central NY so you escaped this snow for the most part then. Orient Pt 28" so far and climbing I have around 20" but not over just yet. Nassau much less.

Don't overfeed the stove. Those Envi blocks pack a punch.
Yes, Envi's should be used in moderation. I usually put 2 Envi 8's in my insert north south and put a large split on top of them. Sometimes if I want to run a little hotter I put in 3 Envi 8's but have used up to 5 at a time with the damper almost fully closed to slow down the the burn rate but I prefer to use 3 at a time as that produces more than enough heat. With 5 it is borderline in my opinion. My insert is a VC Montpelier which is a medium size.

Status
Not open for further replies.