Get ready New England! Here comes snow!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

briansol

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2009
central ct
If you're travelling for turkey day, might want to consider going early. Models are saying we might get some snow Wednesday!

That's a long ways away, meteorologically speaking. Plow is ready. Shovels rotated forward in the storage racks, snowblower rotated to the first out position in the garage, outside chit all put away, sillcocks covered and pool closed.

Most importantly, Thanksgiving dinner is NOT at my house :)

classic "bread and milk scare" tactic. my pantheon of dieties have mentioned nothing of snow as of yet. I shall consult the maple leaves to make sure I didn't miss any messages.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I heard the same report, one thing to remember, the weathermen have been waiting for this day to come. They get "Storm Tracker" going, live shots, 24 hour coverage, and up to date reports. In short they pee their pants at the mention of snow.

Tom

Time for Panic Center . . . cue the ominous, scary music on the 24-hour Weather Channels . . . time for the local TV weather guessers to start giving helpful advice (right up there with the "Temps today are -20 degrees, -40 degrees with the windchill factored in . . . so you might want to wear a jacket today." . . . I know it's close to a week away, but perhaps I should stock up on the essentials -- Beer, Bleech and Batteries. ;)

We have an Arctic blast coming Sunday of cold we usually don't see until January. Weather guys say it will just be real cold and high winds and not to worry. So I stocked up on food, beer and generator gas. >>

looking forward to being warm and toasty by the stove for sunday night, -5d windchill at foxboro when Peyton/Welker come to town.

I'm purposly leaving the snow blower buried in the back of the garage, daring the snow to come, after two pitiful snow years I would like to see some real snow! Even last years "blizzard" left me cold, I remember '78, the only real blizzard of my life.

Going to get a bit chilly here but have to laugh at the forecasters stating we have dangerous cold coming. Dangerous? We have this every year so you'd think people would know what to do. Shoot, this cold won't be anything like what we'll get later. We'll just put one extra split in the stove at night.

I heard the same report, one thing to remember, the weathermen have been waiting for this day to come. They get "Storm Tracker" going, live shots, 24 hour coverage, and up to date reports. In short they pee their pants at the mention of snow.

Tom
Handsome dog in your avatar!

i'm ok with a 3 foot storm. as long as it's gone by the end of the week. this way i can make money and have my cake:)

The weather people around here say we are getting an Artic Blast this weekend high 38 low 22!!! You gotta be kidding
High 22 now maybe that's an Artic Blast.

The weather people around here say we are getting an Artic Blast this weekend high 38 low 22!!! You gotta be kidding
High 22 now maybe that's an Artic Blast.

It is forecast high 34, low 18 and 20 mph wind. When the average for the day high 52, low 30 that is an Arctic Blast. That is late Dec. early Jan. weather around here.

Why didn't my spell check pick up Arctic? :p I know that word. You may be right Bart. I'm really commenting on the weather people making such a big deal about a little cold weather.

It arrived in full today. Really cold day but mostly because of the wind. Temperature was 25 when I got up and it has fell from there all day. We had some snow this morning and again late this afternoon but certainly nothing to get excited over. Sort of a normal December day that we often get in November.

Us NE folks are next in line. Before I dropped an oak split on my big toe today I was getting the firewood ring full and making sure I had a weeks worth near the back door.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Us NE folks are next in line. Before I dropped an oak split on my big toe today I was getting the firewood ring full and making sure I had a weeks worth near the back door.
ouch! You didn't have flip flops on did you?:confused:

yay! some white stuff laying on the ground outside! first time this year...<>

yep, grass took a bit of a dusting here too.

We got a dusting a few hours ago, but its been windy as hell the last few nights. Temp was about 25 last time I let the dogs out. Still amazes me when you see people that have lived here their whole lives, and lose their minds at a prediction of a few inches of snow. Even the hot dog and hamburger buns fly off the shelf...;lol

makes you wonder what they would do if a real blizzard hit, blizzard of 78 Dukakis shut down the state of MA for three days. the state police were to arrest you if you were out on the roads then. NH all the stores were open, lots of people on snowmobles and 4 wheel drive trucks made the runs up there for diapers, milk and food for the neighborhood.
I can't imagine life without enough canned and dry food to make it through a few weeks in the pantry myself, of course my wife shops at a wholesale club so we get big packages of everything...

I had 11 this morning with about 4" of snow. Pretty normal here for this time of year. They had predicted 12" by this afternoon but the suns been out all morning. Not looking good for the weathermans paycheck ! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.