Get ready New England! Here comes snow!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This cold is not going away anytime soon. It's a really big system covering most of the US. NYC's high today was 31F, normal is 51F. Just a wee bit cooler than expected for this time of year.

Its wiiiiiiindy here... The bronze weatherstrip around the front door is singing, must be gusting close to 50.

Going to blow like that with a low around 10 tonight, have to keep a close eye on the stove. Breaking out the good wood early.

froze to death at the Christmas parade today, wind was so bad the gusts would force the flag holders to just stand there and hold on.... by the time the clown in the red suit showed up most people were gone, frozen, crying kids everywhere

We haven't gotten out of the twenties all day. This hasn't happened in November since 2005.

Freaking freezing here today.

Both stoves are cranking.

There are days when the huge old Burnham furnace (1894 vintage, converted from coal to oil many moons ago) in the family home is appreciated. Half an hour and the 6000 square foot home is toasty. Don't use the oil often, but occassionaly.

There are days when the huge old Burnham furnace (1894 vintage, converted from coal to oil many moons ago) in the family home is appreciated. Half an hour and the 6000 square foot home is toasty. Don't use the oil often, but occassionaly.

Have to admit, for quick, thorough heat all over, oil burning in the Buderus can't be beat. Try never to use it. We came home from a 3 day trip at 9 pm, too late to get the stove running. 20 minutes oil got the house warm.

No oil heat or hot tub. Living on the edge. >>

Reactions: Paul L
A good tIme to Have a big honkin woodburner. Its a bit like a sports car,you like to open er up once in awhile and see what she'll do.

Low of 10 tonight. 1 more day of work and 2 weeks off to get the stove hooked up, get the plow on the tractor, and finally be semi ready for winter.

with this wind it feels alot colder than it is. i got over excited with the stove and had to let it go out for 5 hours til it came down to 68 degrees to light er up again

On my way to work last night I have to go towards Gillette stadium to get there. I turn off rt 1 about 2 miles away from Gillette. As I sat in traffic before turning I could see Pats fans walking out in droves, it was just after halftime and only the hearty Pats fans stayed. The thermometer in the truck read 21 deg and I know the winds were consistent at about 25-30. I don't blame them for leaving for the first half they saw, but kudos to the fans that did stay, they got a great second half.

Passive solar already warming up nicely by 9:30AM. No additional heat needed till tonight sometime. Outdoor temp 27 Deg.

keep hearing about snow and bad weather, bummed to look out the window and see the grass through the tiny bit of snow here in central PA...

60's in eastern Mass, no complaints. Lots of rain, looking at 1-4 inches thru 4pm. Wind is coming in hard, gusts to 50 at times. I haven't heard any giant 'crack' noises or thuds yet. Fingers crossed

Living in NW Iowa means there is no "normal" for weather, you might be riding a dirt bike one week and a snowmobile the next.

Living in NW Iowa means there is no "normal" for weather, you might be riding a dirt bike one week and a snowmobile the next.
same thing here, it was in the lower 30's the last couple days then this front came in. Should be back to same tonight after storm rolls out

In the thirties but I have a 13 pound turkey in the oven and a three pound meat loaf in the wings along with all of the sides to go. So the oven eating 4,000 watts or so it should keep the joint warm today.

Only the two of us and the cat for Thanksgiving but I am getting my winter cooking done and loading up the freezer.

Status
Not open for further replies.