Get that snow and ice off your roof while you can....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, local Walmart closed, some schools, I'm concerned about our flat roof town hall. Even peaked roofs are going down and more snow, sleet and rain for Sat. Guess we had better get our rescue truck ready. Just hope that their are no injuries. Be safe.
Ed

We've got a school board that wants a new school, so I doubt we'll here anything untill there's a cave-in. Little things like that all the time, trying to chew us down till they get their new building.

How far up did you lose the shingles? Any ice and water shield under those exposed areas? If so, I'd let is wait. If not, I'd be thinking of how to button that up. Cheers!

Stafford Springs got hammered. I grew up there and my family is all there. My sister and mom both got dug out by a farmer with the same
front loader he used in 1978.

RED FRONTIER said:
Stafford Springs got hammered. I grew up there and my family is all there. My sister and mom both got dug out by a farmer with the same
front loader he used in 1978.

No kidding . . . on one visit down there I actually met up with a member who was here at the time -- Edthedawg . . . haven't seen him post here for some time though. Good pizza at the Stafford House of Pizza! Brother in law lives up the road where the schoolhouse is/was sitting . . . mother in law lives over in Ellington . . . nice area.

If you're handy, you can make a reliable roof rake for much less than what they sell for. I cleared almost all the snow off my roof (12' walls, 24' trusses with a 13 pitch (22' peak from grade).

I fastened a 24" piece of plastic to a 10' piece of 3/4" EMT (with bracing of course) and use this to rake off the roof. I did however have to use an extension ladder. You get a little bit of snow on you but with the right attire and technique, its not so bad.

Last Saturday I got up on the roof and shoveled off about 20 tons of snow :ahhh:
I had some ice, but not too bad, I put some ice melter on it and by Sunday the majority had melted. I carefully knocked off the rest, good and clean now.

I Tied a rope across the 2 chimneys ( one on either side) and tied a rope to that, looked up on the web on how to tie a prusik knot http://en.wiki.org/wiki/Prusik

With that setup I was able to move around pretty easily but be safely tied in in case I slipped.

The local Wall mart had a crane and crew removing snow, they must have had some damage, as on Sunday they were closed and there were roofing contractors there.

first thing in the spring I would check to see if insulation is covering your soffit vents which will impede the ventilation process which form ice dams . happen to me !!

Status
Not open for further replies.