Get the Hardwood Ready!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that the normal pattern here holds this year; For the most part, heavy snow stays North of us and freezing rain stays South. A few years ago, though, we tied a snowfall record for a single event; 22.3" over about 36 hours. Anything could happen. :eek:hh:

BrowningBAR said:
Will something other than moisture be falling from the sky during these storms? Like piglets? Angry badgers? Locust?
Locust would be OK...preferably Black. :cheese:

Great, Just Great.....I'm in the ice over snow section......
Last winter it was so much nicer when it just snowed and stayed frozen for most of the winter

zapny said:
:coolsmirk:
Thistle said:
I'm ready. :coolgrin: Farmer's Almanac says pretty much same thing too,possibly a bit less snow but still bitterly cold.

Thistle; looks like smokin will be burning another 20 cord this year. :zip:

zap

Thank God wood is a by product of saws....Rolling with locust sugar maple hickory and a little hedge! ;-P

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
Thistle said:
I'm ready. :coolgrin: Farmer's Almanac says pretty much same thing too,possibly a bit less snow but still bitterly cold.

zap

Thank God wood is a by product of saws....Rolling with locust sugar maple hickory and a little hedge! ;-P

Out of those four we have sugar maple, add the beech and ironwood for the colder months. Ready for whatever mother nature throws at us.

zap

Attachments

• 100_3983-1.jpg
    100_3983-1.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 201
Sounds like it's going to be winter again. Happens this time every year here.
Leaves gone, grass turning brown. Snow working it's way down the Mts.
We are just a few days from the first snow, stove up & burning.

Yeah, I was looking at that map...Arkansas is right in the middle of the 'more ice than snow'.
That is a safe bet in any winter here...hope to be more than ready this year. Just gotta
get another smaller Genny and I will be set....

Todd said:
I never believe those long rang forecasts, they can't even predict the weather 2 days out. I'll be ready no matter what hits.

Exactly what I was going to say! Cheers!

Pagey said:
That's some spectacular work, Zap!

Pagey; I was just checking the forecast for next week and it looks like we might have (not sure yet) more rain coming our way. :coolgrin:

zap

Attachments

• map_specnews18_ltst_4namus_enus_600x338.jpg
    map_specnews18_ltst_4namus_enus_600x338.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 176
zapny said:
smokin said:
zapny said:
Thistle said:

zap

Out of those four we have sugar maple, add the beech and ironwood for the colder months. Ready for whatever mother nature throws at us.

zap

Where's your bags of pellets? %-P

In storage smokin, we won't use any pellets until we burn all the quaking aspen. The good thing about having the pellet stove (use it or lose it) is when it gets -30 you can run it at night with the wood stove and the temps upstairs will be 72 in the livingroom & 68 in the bedroom.

2009 was the last time we bought oil. :cheese:

zap

zapny said:
In storage smokin, we won't use any pellets until we burn all the quaking aspen. The good thing about having the pellet stove (use it or lose it) is when it gets -30 you can run it at night with the wood stove and the temps upstairs will be 72 in the livingroom & 68 in the bedroom.

2009 was the last time we bought oil. :cheese:

zap

Like the no oil part but around here those bags are 3.99 a piece.....

Once the man sold us the property and pellet cost went up we decided on the wood stove, but the wife still likes the pellet stove at times so we use it. The wood we sold more than pays for the pellets we will use this year.

Since the wood stove went in the pellet stove gets used less and less.

zap

NH_Wood said:
Todd said:
I never believe those long rang forecasts, they can't even predict the weather 2 days out. I'll be ready no matter what hits.

They are calling for a chance of another heavy possible rain system for late next week for the east coast, we shall C how good they are.

zap

zapny said:
NH_Wood said:
Todd said:

They are calling for a chance of another heavy possible rain system for late next week for the east coast, we shall C how good they are.

zap

Holy Geez Zap, I feel sorry for you guys. speakin to my buddy down in williamport pa. area. He was caught up in the flooding down there. I hope your snow accumulations this winter don't match the rain amounts lately.

Rottiman, I hope not either but Mother Nature will do what she wants. The plow will be ready!

zap

zapny said:
Rottiman, I hope not either but Mother Nature will do what she wants. The plow will be ready!

zap

I hear ya, got the loader and a plow if it becomes necessary.....................Last couple of years you've been getting hit harder down there. seems alot of it has been going around us. Time will tell.

I almost ran out of room to plow the snow last year, need the trailer moved to another area plus more clean up of some dead downed pine. I was able to work in the woods until Feb., sounds like it might be a shorter winter cutting season.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.