get them saws sharpened!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
the NE has potential tornado's on the loose. You know what that means, downed trees..Firewood Trees!

yeah, its been 93+ and humid bigtime here where I am from, near the Albany area. our entire area has a tornado warning, golf ball size hail the works!

www.cbs6albany.com

Here in CNY we had a tornado warning earlier. There not the big killers like they are out west though here the tornado's form from micro bursts...and one went threw here about 1230est....very concentrated storms that are over in about 15 min or so. But 28k people are without power now...developing.

ya it is wicked hot and humid here today, has been for 3 days and will be for 3 or 4 more. We are expecting T-storms, some may be severe. Haven't heard nothing about Tornado's but I guess it is kinda hard to predict.

I will keep my eyes on the sky and watch for free flying fire wood!

skinnykid said:
What the heck are you talking about???

The North East??

Tornados??

Happens every so often in the northeast...we get small tornadoes about once every 5-10 years...F1 class mostly IIRC. Last one I recall happened in like 96 or 97 I think...few people got killed and a bunch of houses got leveled, all replaced with significantly nicer ones. I drove through the area a day or so after it happened and I can honestly say it was possibly the first time I've seen a tornado affected area that wasn't a trailer park.

Tornado watch was posted by the NWS for about 1/4 of eastern NY (centered more or less around Albany and the western most county in MA...from where I type this) this afternoon through this evening. Storms rolled through here over the last hour and are just about gone. Dog started freaking out about 15 minutes before they hit here and I watched the lightning roll right over the mountains and into my front yard...pretty cool. Stove chimney arced bigtime across to one of my support beams...guess its about time to get that lightning rod installed.

mayhem said:
...few people got killed and a bunch of houses got leveled, all replaced with significantly nicer ones.

You talking about the people, or the houses?. :wow: Rick

Not from tornados, but high winds is were I get most of my free wood!

mayhem said:
skinnykid said:

The North East??

Tornados??

Happens every so often in the northeast...we get small tornadoes about once every 5-10 years...F1 class mostly IIRC.

We get tornadoes and microbursts more often than once every 5-10 years in the northeast. Maybe you were referring to your area? There was a big one a few years back that started on the west side of the Hudson.That one crossed the river and ripped across Westchester County. You can still see some carnage on the Saw Mill Pkwy. I think that was an F2 or 3. I can name probably about 4 more in just my 100 mile radius in the last 5-10 years. Agreed that most of these are not as huge as those in the midwest.

There was also the huge storm and microbursts in the Cranberry Lake region of the Adirondacks in about 1995 that toppled and split Old Growth White Pine like toothpicks in 5 Ponds Wilderness Area. Someone died in that one. I personally crawled over about 4 acres of Bigtooth Aspen that was like a game of pick-up sticks.

Happens more often than you think...

thats the truth there. NYS purchased part of the lage Whitney Estate in the late 1990's and I was working for NYS DEC and surveyed the perimeter for the closing of the sale. That was after the 1998 ice storm. IT was hell gettign through there

last night we had some vivid lightning, a couple claps of thunder and a little rain. I was sleeping with my saw next to the bed in case some free trees blew by.
No such luck!

Ya I remember a couple tornados in NH within the last 15 years.

CTwoodnpelletburner said:
mayhem said:
skinnykid said:

The North East??

Tornados??

Happens every so often in the northeast...we get small tornadoes about once every 5-10 years...F1 class mostly IIRC.

We get tornadoes and microbursts more often than once every 5-10 years in the northeast. Maybe you were referring to your area? There was a big one a few years back that started on the west side of the Hudson.That one crossed the river and ripped across Westchester County. You can still see some carnage on the Saw Mill Pkwy. I think that was an F2 or 3. I can name probably about 4 more in just my 100 mile radius in the last 5-10 years. Agreed that most of these are not as huge as those in the midwest.

There was also the huge storm and microbursts in the Cranberry Lake region of the Adirondacks in about 1995 that toppled and split Old Growth White Pine like toothpicks in 5 Ponds Wilderness Area. Someone died in that one. I personally crawled over about 4 acres of Bigtooth Aspen that was like a game of pick-up sticks.

Happens more often than you think...

Interesting. I've lived here all my life (I'm 37) and can honestly only recall one tornado, the one I mentioned above...I ran a google search of it and found to my surprise it was a strong F3 and occurred the same day as the one you mentioed. I've pasted the excerpt below:

Memorial Day 1995 TORNADOES
During the evening of Memorial Day, may 29 1995, a strong tornado touched down in Berkshire county Massachusetts near Prospect Lake in North Egremont at 706 PM. It then moved east at 40 mph, crossing into Great Barrington then Monterey. The last damage occurred near Morley Hill in Sandisfield at 724 PM. Officially the track was from 1 mile southeast of North Egremont to 1.5 miles southwest of West Otis. Its damage classification was considered F3 to F4 (the fujita damage scale ranges from F0 to F5).

Three people were killed as their car was lifted several hundred feet in the air then dropped into a wooded hillside. Twenty-Four people were injured, many from flying glass. Approximately 75 homes were either damaged or destroyed. Damage was estimated near 25 million dollars. In Great Barrington, the local fairgrounds and a gas station were destroyed. A truck smashed into a supermarket causing a large hole in the building. A nursing home lost its roof. Debris was carried more than 45 miles to the northeast in Belchertown, where a fairgrounds racing ticket was found along with white corrugated plastic roofing material.

At the same time as the Great Barrington tornado, a different tornado was occurring in Connecticut. It moved across South Britain and Southbury from 723 PM to 735 PM. Its damage classification was F1 and costs were estimated at 10 thousand dollars.

Prior to that 1995 tornado the last one I found that touched down in Berkshire county was 1973 when we had an F4.

The majority of tornadoes in New York and New England are small and short-lived. However, big ones sometimes do occur. On June 9, 1953, an extremely violent tornado leveled parts of Worcester, MA killing 94, injuring over 1000, and leaving 10,000 homeless. On August 28, 1973, a large tornado hit West Stockbridge, MA in Berkshire County killing four, and inuring forty. More recently, on May 12, 1984 a moderate tornado injured eleven people on the Altamont fairgrounds and one in Schenectady as well as damaging property. On November 16, 1989, a tornado, which had dissipated into a straight-line wind gust, crumbled a wall at the East Coldenham Elementary school in Montgomery, NY killing seven children. On Memorial Day, 1995, a devastating pair of tornadoes struck Columbia and Berkshire counties killing three and producing millions in property damage. Three years later a violent outbreak of severe thunderstorms and tornadoes on May 31, 1998 produced the destructive tornado which left parts of Mechanicville and Stillwater in Saratoga county, NY in ruins. And on July 21, 2003, a series of tornadoes spawned by a single supercell thunderstorm moved through New York’s Hudson valley and up into Vermont.

You're right...it is more often than I thought.

Well since I last reported in yesterday we had another micro burst roar through here for a total of 2 in one day. Power was out just for a short time, took the cart out to reconn the lower 40 for any damage and found 1 maple tree snapped off about 20ft up the ground. While there I noticed a 10ft white oak that I marked with engineer tape...then the dog sniffed out a brood of turkey chicks and snatched one up. I was able to recover it...brought it back to the wife who repaired it then we brought it back to the site when we encountered the mother....left the chick. All's well that ends well so that's that.

I was able to pick up about a 30 foot limb of maple on the side of the road this morning about 1/2 mile from my house. Was about 8 inches at one end and about 15 at the other. The power crew had already cut the brush off it so I made about 6 cuts and loaded it up. Not a ton but not bad for ten minutes work either.

^good for you, little bit each day will ad up quickly. Sometimes while I'm cutting in the winter time wondering why I'm out there I look at that bucket load of splits and remind myself that this will keep the LP stove at bay for 2 days.

Last night we had a nasty storm come through bad enough to put the wife and kids in basment.Winds were really fast and loud >Pretty scary SH T
Anyway Just in my alley I got at least a 1/3 of a cord and the kid sitter accros the street half of a tree come down have at least 1/2or more there .Cant get my saw running to cut up any more.Im running out of room for all this wood :coolgrin:

Adirondackwoodburner said:
the NE has potential tornado's on the loose. You know what that means, downed trees..Firewood Trees!

Yes but be careful. Cutting storm damaged trees can be pretty dangerous. I'd rather fell standing timber if I had the choice. On the other hand if anyone is salvage cutting it might be worth hanging out at the landing to see what you might be able to get a deal on.

Well I was out cutting/trampling giant hog weed along out road frontage the other day and noticed another tree that we lost to the two micro bursts Tuesday. Is was an old apple tree that I used to make cider out of...just 2 years ago I spent half a day trimming it down and cleaning out around it too...it was really looking good for an apple that was close to 45+ years old...

...reason #47 why it sucks to be me.

On the up-side- apple is prime firewood.

You have giant hogweed!!! Nasty. I hear that if you get the sap on you, then get any sun exposure- it causes severe burns. If it gets in your eyes you can go blind. Be careful!

Yeah AP Hog weed is nasty...it's new to this area in the last 4-5 years. I've been trying to disrupt its life cycle for the last couple of years...it seems to help. I'll give it a few more years before I give up on it. I've always caught it before it flowers but it's stubborn. Like you said apple is a good burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.