Get your CARVE on !!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustWood

Minister of Fire
Aug 14, 2007
Arrow Bridge,NY
http://chainsawrendezvous.org/

BK ,,,,, you goin ?????
Some pics from last year.

beartable-1.jpg

pirate1-1.jpg

I don't even want to think of the price for those... I bet it's 5 digits

Lee, we'd like to go but there is just so much work to do in this new place that we may not be able to make it. We're certainly going to try, though, we had a total blast last year.

This year the entire event will be held right on the main drag. Shut the saws down at the end if the day, clean them up, lock them in the truck, then walk right to the bar. Jordan's has the beet burgers in the world, and $3/bottle premium beers.

My friend Mike Page carved that table and I think he only wanted about $4k for it. He's a great production carver and could make that bench in a couple long days work.

The pirate was done by Ken Tynan. I believe it had a tag on it that said $7500. Steep? Yes, but Ken took weeks to complete that carving. He used to be a hand carver before he discovered the dark side, so he is not averse to finishing up the details with edge tools. Ken was a featured carver on a recent episode of "Saw Dogs", the cool new reality show about chainsaw carving on the Velocity Channel at 9 PM on Saturdays. Look for it's return this weekend.

Never tried "beet burgers". Prob'ly tastes like tofu, huh?

That pirate is incredible. Not sure if I'd want it in my house, but you have to recognize the talent there.

Jags said:
Makes my head spin just trying to figure out how they would start such a project.

Step 1: Get big piece of wood
Step 2: Carve
Step 3: Enjoy

not that complex really....begin at the beginning, end at the ending. If you think of it more like "whittling" a nearly perfect, to scale pirate, from a single piece of wood, with some power tools, and a bunch of labor, and applied techniques.....it becomes much more manageable. Saw it on youtubes.

If Yan can cook...so can you!

Delta-T said:
Jags said:
Makes my head spin just trying to figure out how they would start such a project.

not that complex really....begin at the beginning, end at the ending. If you think of it more like "whittling" a nearly perfect, to scale pirate, from a single piece of wood, with some power tools, and a bunch of labor, and applied techniques.....it becomes much more manageable. Saw it on youtubes.

If Yan can cook...so can you!

I would start by opening and drinking one or more beers to get up the courage to make that first cut on a beautiful piece of wood.

From there it is easy....you just carve away anything that isn't a pirate!

Delta-T said:
Jags said:

Reminded of a conversation about how long it took to build the tallest building in the world. A goo friend said "You just get some 2x4's and a hammer and have at it, right?"

What I was thinking as well. I tried to make a kiddie chair once out of a big log when I was out camping.. didn't turn out looking much like anything. :lol:

Jags said:
Crazy amazing talent. Makes my head spin just trying to figure out how they would start such a project.

Status
Not open for further replies.