Gettin cold, I used my best

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Loaded with almost petrified oak, black locust and a couple of ash.

Ditto, just put some locust on top of pine embers. In the teens tonight with a wicked wind.

north can you please close the door up there?? It's getting real cold down in the 'bert. They are calling for HIGHS of -32 °C this weekend!

Thats funny as I did the same, was saving the black locust for January but it was just too damn cold today, I am wondering how it burned as I immediately left for work, guess I will find out this weekend as the cold is alleged to hang around.

’berta Burner said:
They are calling for HIGHS of -32 °C this weekend!
What part of Alberta is that? I have a BIL in Calgary complaining about all the snow they got. I hope that -32C doesn't make it this far East. I'm already burning my best wood!

After this weekend it will be mostly beech some ash and a little silver maple just to keep it all burning great.. Sounds more like a pipe blend..lol

my pipe blend last two days was silver maple , elm, oak kept the house warm all night with temp down to -2 F and winds making a wind chill of -20 to -30

Im breaking out the mulberry tonight....low of 20 degrees tonight. Ive been burning sassafras and pine mostly so far.

Hickory and Oak just went in for the overnight.......

Don't bring out the best wood yet!!!!! Wait for winter. Long about late January you might be wishing you hadn't burned your best wood, but maybe you have a lot of it. If so, burn away. If not, wait.

I do have a lot. I think 20 and below I am going with the good stuff!

Brackley Beach PEI here:

Winds out of the west to 80kmh -8c (wind chill -18c)

Still burning softwood, but large rounds now, black spruce to be exact

I will pull out the birch when overnights dip to -10c and the maple when it goes to -15c or colder

Softwood is underrated

I've been keeping track of usage and I've burned one cord since Oct 2nd. Not bad for ghoul that was laying off the ground on my 3.5 acres...

gzecc said:
I do have a lot. I think 20 and below I am going with the good stuff!

Yep, I am still saving my pine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.