Getting 500lb Stove down steps??!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joebo

Oct 27, 2009
Eastern PA
Any trick or clever way of getting a wood stove down about 6 steps? I'm assuming just about 4 guys and step by step down each stair, but never know, maybe there is some super easy way of doing it that i'm overlooking....

Appliance dolly work just fine.They go downstairs great up the stairs is a little harder.Take the door and firebrick out and save yourself a hundred pounds.

Put a mattress at the bottom of the stairs and give it a kick... whats the worst that could happen?

k3c4forlife said:
Put a mattress at the bottom of the stairs and give it a kick... whats the worst that could happen?

"OK Bubba, hold my beer and watch this!"

put it on 2 X 4's and slide it otherwise, dolly is the easiest.

the dolly and the 2x4's work great!

the hard part is once you get going you can lose it quick. I've done heavy things like fridges and washers myself but never 400+lbs. I think it would have a good chance of pulling me down the stairs with it!

That being said there's no excuse not to try it. I got my Lopi insert up by myself sans brick and door, so I guess its possible. I only had a small regular dolly.

We did the furnace with an appliance dolly. My father-in-law top the top side and I held the furnace from the bottom so we wouldn't lose it. It was a little scary because my FIL has both his ankles fused and isn't 100% with stairs. We went slow and it all worked fine.

2 strong men, a good dolly and six beers can move just about anything to just about anywhere.

Patapsco Mike said:
2 strong men, a good dolly and six beers can move just about anything to just about anywhere.

You forgot "and a pickup truck"! PS - the sheriff might wonder if he catches you with 6 beers and a dolly in the truck... Oh, wrong dolly- sorry.

Having moved lots of heavy stuff up and down stairs some quick and uncompromisable rules. Do not think one person can stop 500lbs moving on it's own. Ropes and a strong back well in the rear for safety. No one, repeat, NO ONE below the stove. Friends have gotten lucky until the last time they tried and broke something. Usually one or two success and then a dramatic failure. If crated, leave crated if you have the room. Get twice as many to help as you think you will need.

Things are different going up, but down is the scariest. Skidding on 2 by's is good, but 2 2x6's is best. secure the boards so they don't slip. Do not carry it down. A simple false step by one can cripple all.

I moved an antique counter 14'long weighing about 700 lbs down a ridiculously steep set of stairs with three handlers and two on ropes. Took two cases of beer to cool us after getting it down and placing it in the right spot. Told the lady to call a piano mover if she wanted it moved out later. I think it goes with the house when she sells.

We moved a 450 lb stove into our basement a few weeks ago with a handcart - strapped on, of course. I had #2 son on the cart, carefully coming down 1 step at a time. #1 son and I guided / lifted it down each step from the front, so it wouldn't drop / jump. No problems.

Make sure you have something to protect the front edge of each step - either something on the back of the dolly or on the front of the steps. You don't want to scratch anything.

My more interesting move was putting the 1,500 lb. Econoburn 150 down the same steps. We built a wooden sled out of 4x4's, slotted to fit over the door frames of the boiler. Then we slid it down on two 2x10's, using come-along's to ease it down. On the floors, we used four 1" black iron pipes to roll it on the sled on top of a couple of 2x8's. The "we" this time was myself and my 72 year-old dad. More mechanical devices = less human bodies.

Play safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.