getting a draft going

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
Anyone use candles to get a draft going? It sucks when smoke from paper comes out all the joints and door. At least the candles would smell good.

oilstinks said:
Anyone use candles to get a draft going? It sucks when smoke from paper comes out all the joints and door. At least the candles would smell good.

I've never had that. Has anyone else had the smoke come out of the joints?

Seems to me that if smoke is coming out of the joints it may be time for a rebuild. I've had smoke come back out of a door I have left cracked open to help start the fire, but never from the joints.

Rebuild what? Im talking from those really cold starts by no means this time of year but sometimes from a cold start on a cold day the smoke does not want to go out the flu but rather out the door.

oilstinks said:
Rebuild what? Im talking from those really cold starts by no means this time of year but sometimes from a cold start on a cold day the smoke does not want to go out the flu but rather out the door.

Sorry- when you mentioned coming out of the joints, i just assumed you meant the cemented joints in the stove- if you were just talking about smoke coming out of an open door, then that is normal with poor draft.

The pipe joints are just screwed and not cemented. I take it apart frequently (about once a month if i can) and brush it good.

Never any issues here but wouldn't expect any with a 30' tall chimney. I've heard/read about people using a hairdryer or small propane torch to get the draft going when it needed help. I'm not sure if a candle will provide enough heat to do so.

Yea ive used a torch. Smokeless lamp oil on some paper works too but it still smokes and stinks a little.

What is the outside temp when this is happening? How tall is the flue?

about 12ft. Only when the stove and flu are cold.

That's a short chimney which is not helping you. If it could be extended that would help greatly. Also, is this a SS chimney or a masonry chimney? What diameter is the chimney inside?

When I had a masonry chimney I'd occasionally have this problem. I could tell before I even built the fire when it was going to happen as I could feel the downdraft. In these cases I'd start my propane torch up and let it sit in the stove for 10-15 minutes first and that usually help get things going in the right direction.

pen

I would google draw collar. It would be a pretty simple fix for your issue.

its not too big of a deal. Id go taller but 6ft is already above the roof. 6" ss pre fab amerivent hs type ht. Yea you can feel the down draft. I made an outside air kit out of some 3" exhaust tube for this year and i hope that helps out a little particularly with the secondary burn.

Oil, you have 12'. Is this straight up or are there some elbows?

Have you tried putting newspaper in the stovepipe and then lighting it?

straight up. Cant get to the pipe sceondary tubes and ceramic board in the way.

Straight up is good. We have less than 12' chimney and do fine with it even though we are surrounded with high trees. This sounds like a real puzzler.

Everybody's case is a little different... so what works for some may not work for others. 6ft above the roofline means you have no interference from structures nearby, and possibly no interference from surrounding trees/hills... but you might still be sitting in an area where there isn't much pressure differential in the 12ft of chimney that you have.

If you can, try removing the cap for a day (reduced resistance to draft) and see if it's better. With the cap removed, pop a piece of black stovepipe in there to give you a few more feet... see if that helps. If it does, then grab another section of chimney and put it on there. Be sure to properly brace the chimney if you do extend it.

we are over engineering the situation here. Its no big deal. Just wondering if any one has used candles to redirect those cold start down drafts.

My stove is NEVER cold on a cold day. Only have draft issues on a cold shoulder season start. I just add a few more sheets of newspaper.

Hmm, wonder wher ethe post went.
I have this same problem with the 602 in the kitchen at times. It only happens when the pipe feels ice cold before ligthing the stove. What I do is load the stove and then warm the pipe with a heat gun. When I can start feeling the air going up and out of the stove I light the fire. This stove also has a straight short run. I can actually feel the air change directions as the chimney warms up.

oilstinks said:
about 12ft. Only when the stove and flu are cold.

Short flue in a mild climate is going to be balky until it gets colder. Add 3 ft of pipe for a permanent solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.