Getting a Jotul Castine Installed Wednesday: Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass. Wine Guy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2007
Northeastern Massachusetts
I've planned this for a long time and finally my Castine will be installed tomorrow. A couple of questions, please.

I've gotten one of two cords of what I've been told is seasoned hardwood. I trust the guy I'm getting the wood from, the splits make a nice loud "crack" when knocked together, but some seem incredibly heavy. Does this mean it's a green piece of wood? Many of the pieces have bark on them that, when removed, reveals some dampness.

Why is a stove thermometer good to use? How is it used?

Anything special I should know about the flue? I wasn't planning to put any kind of air flow control in the flue. Should I?

Can I get by with a sledge hammer and a good wedge to split some rounds and large chunks?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Mass. Wine Guy said:
I've planned this for a long time and finally my Castine will be installed tomorrow. A couple of questions, please.

I've gotten one of two cords of what I've been told is seasoned hardwood. I trust the guy I'm getting the wood from, the splits make a nice loud "crack" when knocked together, but some seem incredibly heavy. Does this mean it's a green piece of wood? Many of the pieces have bark on them that, when removed, reveals some dampness.

Anything special I should know about the flue? I wasn't planning to put any kind of air flow control in the flue. Should I?

Can I get by with a sledge hammer and a good wedge to split some rounds and large chunks?

Pics of the wood would be nice and will help out alot.Thermometer is good to know what temp the stove is at.

Flue stuff for the more experienced members. A good heavy maul & splitting wedge with 16lb sledge hammer is good all around method.

Another Castine in Mass. woohoo enjoy
woodstove004.jpg

Mass. Wine Guy said:

First off, congrats on your purchase . . . hopefully you will find heating with food as enjoyable as many of us.

Seasoned wood: While looking for cracking in the ends of the wood and listening to the sound of the wood or using wood where the bark is falling off naturally can be a helpful indicator of seasoned wood, I think short of burning the wood (and seeing or not seeing moisture or hearing sizzling) about the only real, true way to tell if the wood is seasoned enough or not is to use a moisture meter.

Going by weight alone will not always be a good indicator . . . in time you may be able to gauge things a bit better by hefting a comparably sized stick of wood of the same species against a similarly sized piece . . . and this will help indicate whether or not it is seasoned. "Help" is the operable word however . . . much like knocking wood together and listening for the "crack of the bat" noise or by checking for cracking -- these are just some possible indicators. As mentioned, the only true way to tell if the wood is seasoned enough or not is to either burn it or use a moisture meter.

The reason I mention weight is because here in the Northeast the same size stick of cedar or pine will typically weigh less than the same size stick of oak, maple, etc. . . . but in some cases an unseasoned stick of that same softwood can weigh as much if not more. For me, weight is a "helpful" indicator of seasoned wood, but only when used with the same species and same size. While some of the wood may seem heavy to you . . . it is possible that it may simply be a different species . . . or it may in fact be green.

One thing you will learn is that "seasoned wood" means different things to different people. Seasoned could mean that it was cut and split last year . . . or it could mean that it was cut and split three months ago . . . or maybe it was cut tree length last year and just split two weeks ago.

Stove thermometer: Get one. For a new woodburner it is very helpful in letting you know approximately how hot your stove is . . . important when it comes to running the stove more efficiently and reducing the amount of creosote build-up. It has been said by many others here that running a woodstove without a thermometer can be done . . . but it is like running a car without a speedometer -- it can be done, but it's usually better to have some way to tell what's really going on with your woodstove. Placement of the thermometer depends on the manufacturer and type of stove -- some have specific locations (i.e. my Jotul Oslo specifically requires the thermometer to be in one of the four corners on the stove top.) Trust me . . . it's well worth the $15 for this product -- it will help you know when to shut down your draft, keep you from overfiring the stove or running it at too low a temp.

Flue: Damper or not to damper . . . that is the question. I can't really address this. Some folks love their dampers as it gives them an extra measure of control in reducing overdrafts and choking the fire in the event of a chimney fire . . . other folks say it's just one more thing to run and unnecessary. I guess a lot depends on your own situation. In my case, I have a good draft so I opted to not go with a damper in my flue.

Splitting: 1-2 cords isn't too much to split by hand. You may opt to rent a splitter. You can, as mentioned, split by a sledge and wedge, although I think the general consensus by many is that an actual splitting maul is easier and safer (fewer worries of a wedge flying off and striking you.)

You do not need an additional damper with the Castine.It was never designed for one nor is it recommened. Congrats on the purchase. The Castine is a top knotch unit.

polaris said:
You do not need an additional damper with the Castine.It was never designed for one nor is it recommened. Congrats on the purchase. The Castine is a top knotch unit.

I'll second this!!! Congratulation

Regarding the hammer and wedge, I prefer a maul over the hammer and wedge method but if you are going to use wedges, you may think about buying an extra or two. Sometimes they get caught up in the split and it takes another to finish the job and free the first one. Whether you can get by with this is going to depend primarily on the species of wood you burn and how knotty the piece you are working on happens to be. Although we have a hydraulic splitter, straight grained red oak is easier to split with the maul than move to the splitter. Hickory or sweetgum goes straight to the splitter. You'll probably split what you can by hand and then borrow, rent or buy a splitter to work down your cull pile if it grows large enough.

Congratulations. The Castine is a beautiful stove. Jotul recommends a thermometer. It will help you to burn better by knowing the approximate firebox temperature. By all means get one. I had a damper on my F400, but it isn't a necessity unless you have strong draft. If the stove is connected to a straight up, interior flue of >30 ft, I'd probably add one.

For wood splitting I'd recommend getting an 8# splitting maul. It's easier and faster than working with a sledge and wedge. The wedge will still be helpful for hard to split pieces, but many can be split with a single whack with a maul. To check your current wood, split a couple of the thicker pieces in half and feel the freshly exposed wood. It if feels cool and damp then there could be some more drying needed. The Castine likes dry wood. If you find the wood you are burning is a little damp, bring in a week's worth of wood indoors a week ahead of time. The low interior humidity of the house will help accelerate drying. And by all means get the cord wood stacked, at right angles to the prevailing winds and off the ground. Cover the top only. If it is moderately dry, it will continue to dry out through the winter.

When you hit two pieces of your wood together it should make a hollow clunk sound.

If it makes a dull thud sound it probably needs to dry more.

The pictures of your wood looks like it could use some more drying time as the ends don't look to be splitting and the color is pretty tan. Ideally, you want to see more of a grey color.

FYI - that oak does not look seasoned. I bet you'll have to split some of those down smaller so you can burn them without too many issues.

Thanks very much, again. The term "seasoned" has a wide range of definitions among different people, including the guy I bought the wood from. Maybe I'll look elsewhere for the second cord.

Update: There's a place near me that sells nearly a full cord of kiln-dried hardwood for $325 delivered. Is that a decent deal? I coould use this and let the other cord dry out more.

I do not know if it is a decent price for your area. It is a decent solution for you in that you can mix the two together and probably get a pretty good burn out of it. Like I said, splitting the wetter wood smaller help a great deal, especially if trying to get a good hot coal bed going.

With the thermometer on top of the stove, i can stay in the 500-600 range with little effort. Did you get the door screen with the stove? it is extra. I usually start the stove and run it with the door open and the screen on while it warms up. Gives me time to enjoy the fire and usually after an hour or so its ready for some heating. The screen is not necessary, but i love the thing.

$325 was going rate for wood not long ago in your area. If it's kiln dried, it normally commands more money. And THIS time of the year- it's even more expensive.

So I'd say that if you're buying cordwood now- $325 is a deal in your area if it's really kiln dried.

Status
Not open for further replies.