Getting a new pellet stove - do I need to call insurance co?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bearingman07936

Apr 16, 2007
We are getting a new pellet stove soon - never had one before. It will sit in the hearth of the existing fireplace and be vented out the existing chimney. We live in NJ, and I know that permits will be necessary. That's not really a problem. I was wondering if anyone had any problems with their homeowners insurance companies. either with higher premiums or whatever? We are going to go ahead with this but I wondered if I should tell them at all, tell them before the install, or just let them know when its all done?

We were set on the Mt Vernon, but now are thinking of going with the Harman XXV. The talk about all the software issues sort of scares us off of the Mt Vernon, plus now we hear that they are giving away 3 tons of pellets with each purchase. Sounds like they need to move the Mt Vernons.....

We have a large open house and need the most BTU's that we can get. That's why the models.

Any input would be appreciated!

It is probably not a legal requirement that you inform insurance company since the wood burning apparatus (fireplace) is already there. But there is no harm done and I don't think your premium will increase, so it may be a good idea. Just make certain you inform them that it is inserted into an existing fireplace.

I think it is fine to do it after it is done.

At this point i think the software issue has been mostly taken care of but there is no garuntee that your dealer has fully upgraded units in the warehouse that aside the MT Vernon would be a great choice and will do a good job for you.

When we installed our stove, our insurance did not go up (note - we did not have fireplace or wood stove prior to this).

They did ask us to fill out a form, listing the stove model and serial number. The form also had a sketch diagram on it and you had to list all the clearances, and attach a photo of the install. Also, they wanted to know if a certified installer put in the unit (wanted the installers signature and cert number).

Give the company a call and ask them, but as you already have a fireplace, I can't see your rates increasing.

BTW, you are choosing between 2 nice stoves Are they both from the same dealer or are you looking at two different dealers?

No, the same installer. We are in NW NJ and are working with a dealer in Stroudsburg, PA right now.
We have NJ Manufacturers, and they are a great insurance co., but very picky sometimes. They are serious about keeping the premiums down, so are sometimes more of a pain than other companies. I will call them.
Thanks

All the issues with the MT Vernon have been resolved. I don't know about your dealer, but we often have promos just to get sales in the summer. All the HHT brands have also been running promos this year with the money they saved by not going to the HPBA. Instead of spending money going there they decided to focus on promos for customers to increase sales that way.

bearingman07936 said:
Well, the insurance company told us that we didn't need to do anything. So we're on the schedule for installation.

Here is what I do during inspections I bring 3 copies of the certificate of inspections which I sign if ok I then instruct one copy is there one mine or for town records and the third copy should be sent to your insurance co So they never can claim they had no knowledge and you have a vaild compliant installation

Status
Not open for further replies.