getting a new stove..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some manufacturers measure the "firebox" including the area above the baffle. This is disingenuous IMO.Your measurement is probably more accurate for the actual usable capacity.

Before giving up on the stove. Take a good straight-edge and put it across the front top face of the stove where the door gasket makes contact. See if that area is flat and true. Then do the same thing for the door edges. If the door is warped, insist that the dealer replace it under warranty. If they suspect overfiring, make them prove it.

I am not giving up yet. I e mailed the company nothing yet so I will call them next week. Called my body who is a welder see if he can do something. I took a picture hope it works it is hard because of the angle.

Attachments

• P1010080.JPG
    P1010080.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 96
Yes, it looks like there is a bow in the front face of the stove. It should be flat. What I suspect is happening is that the stove is drawing air through that gap instead of robustly drawing it through the secondary manifold. That together with poorly seasoned wood and marginal draft will result in an underperforming stove.

I would consider this problem a warranty defect. There is no sign of overfiring that I can see. If your dealer doesn't agree, contact Heatilator directly.

Yes, it looks like there is a bow in the front face of the stove. It should be flat. What I suspect is happening is that the stove is drawing air through that gap instead of robustly drawing it through the secondary manifold. That together with poorly seasoned wood and marginal draft will result in an underperforming stove.

I would consider this problem a warranty defect. There is no sign of overfiring that I can see. If your dealer doesn't agree, contact Heatilator directly.

The face of the stove is where the air wash comes down to keep the glass clean.
I e- mailed Heatilator but nothing yet.

An EPA stove is a balanced system, providing just enough primary air for the air wash and sustaining the fire. The draft creates a pull for more makeup air which as the stove heats up comes from the secondary tubes. Secondary combustion is where the unburnt gases get combusted. If there is extra air entering at the top of the door there may be insufficient draw on the secondary tubes.That will significantly drop the stove's combustion efficiency.

It may take a call to Heatilator to start a response.

Unless I am wrong,, the WS22 is a less expensive spin off of a Quadra-Fire.. When I compared them both, the 22 had thiner steel in the construct. Uses many design features in the 22 but with cheaper, thinner materials. Corrct me if I'm wrong..

I think you are correct. It's under the same parent company, HHT. The Heatilator stove appears to be their economy line.

Status
Not open for further replies.