Getting a pellet stove- need wisdom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope Grasshopper, you get to find out all about venting on your own.

I'll leave you with exactly one hint why does the evl of a one foot piece of pipe double when it is run horizontally?

And as for flexible venting on inserts or any other stove vented through a fireplace chimney being vertical, I've seen u bends in them before.

Nope Grasshopper, you get to find out all about venting on your own.

I'll leave you with exactly one hint why does the evl of a one foot piece of pipe double when it is run horizontally?

And as for flexible venting on inserts or any other stove vented through a fireplace chimney being vertical, I've seen u bends in them before.

They dont double when horizontal. 1' = 1'..... It gets cut in half when Vertical. 1' = 1/2' . All manuals say so.

So why would they say the angles are doubled? K.I.S.S.

Again. Were not constructing a Horizontal system here. Its an Insert. As for the Liner. To solve that issue. One can get solid liner (not flex) . Even if flex. The liner can only bend so much in the given area of existing chimney.

Sorry for the Hijack. Smokey is the one who taught me to make sure that things stay factual and has called me out a couple times. Just keeping facts, facts. Back to regular scheduled programming.

To keep it on-track, Look at Big units. If undersized for your home. You will likely be unhappy. :)

For the OP the ideal stove will be one that can cover your heat loss on the coldest day for your location at its middle firing rate, this allows you to recover your temperature after doing your regular stove cleanings and to allow for a long spell of abnormally low temperatures (in other words a safety margin) otherwise you will not be happy with your purchase or for that matter with pellet stoves. They do not have the quick response of a central heating system or of a fully loaded wood stove.

There are many stoves that likely fit the requirements and if one can't there are pellet furnaces and boilers.

If you are set on an insert be certain that the flue is properly blocked off or you'll wind up dumping a pile of heat up the fuel between the pellet stove vent and the chimney.

If you decide on a stove and you need a lot of btus it is also possible to use multiple stoves.

One more thing permanent pellets (insulation) and air sealing pellets are the cheapest pellets.

I wouldn`t consider a pellet stove in a rental. You are asking for trouble.
They are just too fussy and complicated for most folks who aren`t familiar with their operation , not to mention none are the same with regards to controlling the burn.
Tenancy pellet stoves are a bad idea long term. For a short term rental, if you stay on top of it and check it out before each occupation, you should be alright. Pellet stoves require maintenance which is difficult to impart on a tenant, especially if it is a requirement for dependable heat.

They dont double when horizontal. 1' = 1'..... It gets cut in half when Vertical. 1' = 1/2' . All manuals say so.

So why would they say the angles are doubled? K.I.S.S.

Again. Were not constructing a Horizontal system here. Its an Insert. As for the Liner. To solve that issue. One can get solid liner (not flex) . Even if flex. The liner can only bend so much in the given area of existing chimney.

Sorry for the Hijack. Smokey is the one who taught me to make sure that things stay factual and has called me out a couple times. Just keeping facts, facts. Back to regular scheduled programming.

To keep it on-track, Look at Big units. If undersized for your home. You will likely be unhappy. :)
YOU'RE RIGHT, DEXTER!!!!!! I forgot that vertical gets cut in half!!!!! My 17' vertical is really only 8.5 feet of 'effective' rise, which is WELL within spec! With 3" flex, there is almost no bending as it goes past smoke shelf. Just a gentle dogleg. Damn, why are you always right!!!>>>??? :p

I still have not received proper info on the Clear and Grey Control boxes for Quads. Just because Don had one stove that had a made up symptom (CSS), it became gospel. AMEN!

As for models. Shop around and find a unit over 40,000 with features you like and also a dealer you like. Sometimes the dealer can be more of a selling factor than the brand or stove itself. MOST IMPORTANT THING!

Good luck....

EVL is a proxy measurement for the resistance offered to the exhaust gas flow in the venting, it is an attempt to reduce to simple terms what the limits are. Unfortunately anytime a piece of pipe is placed horizontally its evl increases and the actual increase is not a simple linear one. Your exhaust gases want to rise the longer they are prevented from doing that the slower and cooler they get, eventually the flow attempts to stop and back pressure builds. This is why in addition to an EVL limit there is a stricter. limit on horizontal runs and why you never run venting strictly horizontal or down bubble and also why you have vacuum faults when you exceed those limits or you vent into the wind.

Hopefully, the EPA will be put back in their place come early next year so that coal can reemerge as a viable source of heat/electricity used properly. My brother-in-law has a Keystoker that he swears by. Almost runs itself. In fact, his generator is keeping it going as we speak! Very little dirt or dust and, as you know, plenty of steady heat. Here's a great comparison tool for various fuels. What makes it so good is that you also factor in your heat distribution system efficiency. http://www.buildinggreen.com/calc/fuel_cost.cfm Coal was $217 a ton a month ago when I was up there. That's the price at the breaker.

The biggest gripe i have with the EPA is that are unelected bureaucrats destroying the way of life way we have as a free society with no oversight. Not adding any more:ZZZ Plus making us pay more $$ for the automobiles / electric rates (eco -freaks) & also the tax burden given to us as unemployment from laid off coal miners/power plant employee`s too. P.S. ALL elected officials are responsible for this mess !!

The biggest gripe i have with the EPA is that are unelected bureaucrats destroying the way of life way we have as a free society with no oversight. Not adding any more:ZZZ Plus making us pay more $$ for the automobiles / electric rates (eco -freaks) & also the tax burden given to us as unemployment from laid off coal miners/power plant employee`s too. P.S. ALL elected officials are responsible for this mess !!
We must be brothers!!! I feel exactly the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.