Getting a price to replace my 21 year old WaterFurnace GeoHP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She's already been to the French Riviera (Nice) and other places in France. Nice and The Bay of Angels looks a good bit like the picture you sent.
th

Unfortunately we find in our advanced years we don't feel up to such vigorous travel any more. It takes some effort just to fly to Florida and California, two places we have family to visit as well as enjoy the warmer winter weather. But with the new HP we may enjoy just keeping the house a couple of degrees warmer : ).

I was engaged in international business for about 20 years when I was still young enough to know enough to be employed. Growing old a'int for sissies.

Reactions: woodgeek
I'll try to share my experience with others in more current threads, but to conclude this thread: THE DEED IS DONE.

My 4 ton Water Furnace (replacement) was installed, it will be one week old tomorrow. Love it. The smart thermostat has many features only an engineer will appreciate (no engineering degree required).

I purchased the DeSuperHeater (DSH) and so far I am happy with that decision. The DSH in the original 21 YO Waterfurnace never really produced hot water.

As part of the installation I had a new 80 gallon electric water heater installed to replace my 12 Yo (est) 50 gallon heater - so we're all new on this subject. I heated the water in the HW heater with the resistive elements because it was installed one week ago, a day ahead of the installation of the new WF. Then on Tuesday last when the HP was on line I threw the circuit breaker feed to the water heater. The weather since then has been mild and I'll estimate the HP run time at about 25 % of the time, more than half of that during sleeping hours, several days did not need any heating after 10 am. Even with this low heating we have had sufficient hot water (two seniors, and we are young enough to take baths) with the HW heater power off. We wash dishes in the morning when the hot water is around 125 degrees. The dish washer is about 4 years old so it is a low hot water user, an energy star rated dishwasher, still it uses hot water, as does general clean-up around the house, cooking, baths, and some cloths washing, still enough hot water is delivered from just the HP.

We are expecting colder weather later this week, low about 30 degrees and highs in the 40s, so the HP will be running more like 30% of the time, maybe 35%, and I feel safe expecting more than enough hot water - and I estimate we will not need to use the hot water heater to heat hot water before next April.

So whatever the poor performance of the DSH approach has been, it looks like Water Furnace has addressed that and now have a real HP generated hot water source. Remember too, the HP has a COP of 4 or better, so my hot water is coming at 1/4th the cost of heating with resistive elements. I recall (approximate recollection) that the dedicated water tank heat pumps deliver a COP closer to 2 than to 4. But, the dedicated water tank HP does have the benefit of doing some welcome air cooling in the hot weather, but then so does the WF HP, with the cooling and hot water coming from a unit delivering a EER in the 20s.

Status
Not open for further replies.