Getting a wood stove into a basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NEDLAX

Dec 12, 2008
UPSTATE NY
Anybody got any tricks of the trade to get a wood stove down a set of stairs. I emptied it out but its still a bear to lift, its a napoleon 1900 395lbs empty. I was thinking getting 2x10s and sliding it down them with ropes holding it back good idea or bad

That's what I was going to suggest - very similar to how we moved my F500 still in the box from the back of a pickup across to my deck. Believe it or not we only needed 2 2x4's turned on edge to provide enough support to make the gap.

In your application my concern would be that your rope might break and damage the stove as well as the people guiding it on the bottom. ;) I would also review your stairs and ensure they'll be able to bear the load of the stove at any one point (since it will be sliding down gradually) so as not to cause any problems. If you do go with the rope method, be sure to use pulleys (easily avail at the depot or hardware store) to reduce the amount of force required to restrain the stove or else you and your helpers will be playing tug of war with 395lbs and gravity. You may also want to consider buying and using chains instead of the rope. I'm sure someone else on the forum has moved a stove down a set of stairs...

Used a heavy duty appliance dolly and a strong friend we strapped the old stove in the basement on and dragged it up and then put the new stove on and took it down. was amazed at how easy it went, but we have good stairs and we went slow!!

deck2 said:
Used a heavy duty appliance dolly and a strong friend we strapped the old stove in the basement on and dragged it up and then put the new stove on and took it down. was amazed at how easy it went, but we have good stairs and we went slow!!

Yep, that how I got mine down, and it was 525lbs. I did take everything out and off that I could. 2 guys going very slow and easy, wasn't that bad at all.

Mike

I agree with the dolly method. One strong guy on the top end and 2 strong guys on the bottom end and take it one stair at a time.

Shipper

A few weeks ago it took 4 guys and a heavy duty appliance dolly (with multiple ratchet straps) to move my Englander 30 (455 lbs) down the steps to my basement. 2 of us up on the top stairs and 2 of us down on the bottom stairs. Took it slow, step by step, that thing was heavy. For sure if the 2 guys up top would have let it go, it would have crushed me and my brother in law.

Just in case you do not have one, you do not need an heavy duty appliance dolly. HD or Lowes sell the sort heavy duty hand trucks. I have moved my Olympic and Jotul recently using that one. Strap it on and go to it. One stair at a time whether going up or down. You can do it with 2 or 3 people depending. I suppose some folks might need 4 people. We do the Jotul with 2 and the Olympic with 3 [pushing 500 lbs].

equipment necessary I've used to move heavy objects over the years. Planks and blocking, pipe rollers, or pvc pipe rollers, size does not matter as long as they are similar. multi rolls, dolly's and appliance's dolly's. come-a-longs, straps, winches, rope, skids, metal bars for levers, channel iron, snatch blocks, choker's, shackles, and turnbuckles. Or even a crane if you can afford it. They work real good. As an Ironworker in my former life I have moved some very heavy stuff, 36 ton paper machine rolls, polar gantry cranes, 22 ton vessel's from vertical to horizontal and back again. I have even seen ivory snow dish detergent used on plywood to move some large dock cranes sideways over to the next track. possibly 120 tons. make sure your ramp or stairs can withstand the weight. A hold-back is most important, a good solid purchase is handy to hold on to or pull to, a tree, car, truck, rock, structure. Use commonsense, you can't move it all by yourself, you need help or at least these basic tools. pay attention. good luck and remember it's heavy and how to lift to save your back. sweetheat ;-P

Reactions: Cruileen
Status
Not open for further replies.