Getting a yard barn for shed, anybody doing this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warno

Minister of Fire
Jan 3, 2015
illinois
My father in law called last night saying that his work is throwing out a 10 x 8 x 8 yard barn. I told him I'd take it. Now I'm wondering if this thing might cause molding issues being that is not very open to vent out. Has anyone used one of these little buildings to stack wood in? Does anyone have any molding issues?

I never tried but it seems if you take doors off and some of those cheap vents to sides and back you would get enough airflow. Menards has under eave vent that's 16x8 for 2 bucks a peice. A couple on top and quarter way up would probably do it. I mean if you are getting the thing for free its worth a shot

I have an old 10'x12' shed that I use to store 3 cords of wood. If I put new wood in and then close the doors, I get fungus and mushrooms growing on the end of my wood. If I keep both doors open and let the wind in (we have a lot of wind here on top of our hill), the wood stays dry and no mold, fungus, mushrooms or whatever.

It has a vent at one opposite the doors plus a small wind that I have cracked. There are several holes in the floor where the rats and animals have chewed the plywood, presumably for the salt or whatever.

if it's free, I'd get it and use it.

Good luck!

I went to check out the barn tonight. It's actually about 10 x 10 x 10. This thing looks huge. My father in law said he could have the yard guy pick it up to look at the runners underneath it. If they are decent I'll be getting it to load with wood. I'll probably install some side vents and some ridge vents to get some wind through it. So far it looks like score to me.

Reactions: Rebelduckman
I had a 8x8 that I kept pine and kindling in. The soffits on each side were open and let enough air thru.

1. Take home.
  2. Set up.
  3. Fill with wood.
  4. Assess.
  5. Add vents as needed.
  6. Celebrate major freebie score.

==c

Status
Not open for further replies.