Getting bar cover off a Husky 350

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay H

Nov 20, 2006
NJ
Bought a "used" 350 the other day, it's not too old but was returned and sent to Husky for service, good shape, even the stickers are still shiny. Anyway, went to take off the bar cover and removed the 2 nuts using my T tool thing and the cover is still stuck on the body somehow. Opened up the manual and it mentioned releasing the chain brake and removing the 2 nuts. What else is there that I don't know about. I literally got the cover off the bolt but something in the back where the left-hand grip is attached to the body is keeping the cover from coming off... The manual doesn't state anything else that one should do to remove the cover.. What am I missing here???

Jay

Are you sure the chain brake is released? Pull the handle towards you until it clicks. You won't get the cover off if the brake is engaged.

If it clicks and it's still stuck, or if you pull it back and it doesn't click, then it sounds to me like the brake isn't working, and you should take it back to the dealer and have it fixed.

Thanks, now that I have it open, I can see what the brake was doing. I think I tried pulling it back when I had the bolts off which wasn't opening the brake all the way I guess...

Jay

Jay H said:
Thanks, now that I have it open, I can see what the brake was doing. I think I tried pulling it back when I had the bolts off which wasn't opening the brake all the way I guess...

Jay

Jay,

I did the SAME thing when I got my Husky 345.....exact same thing.......LOL

castiron said:
Jay H said:

Jay

Jay,

I did the SAME thing when I got my Husky 345.....exact same thing.......LOL

Same here. Pretty common first-time mistake I bet.

:) Maybe this should go in a FAQ!!

I also have a Makita UC4000 electric with an inertial brake but that bar cover is not controlled by the brake arm..

Jay

I had the opposite situation. I couldn't get the cover on until I figured out the brake was engaged. This is the beginning of my second season of cutting and I hope to keep the saw out of the shop more often.

Did the same thing with my Husky, very hard to get back on. You take a socket and notch it to fit the star gear on the top. then take a ratchet and open the break and slip it on. What happens sometimes the inertia brake locks the bar and you think it is not locked. If you take the break off, you will never get that spring on without a Husky special tool, it's I think $8.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.