Getting consistantly sized splits legnths .....any tricks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2007
Hi there! Hey just a quick question about getting more consistancy on our split legnths. We get our wood by collecting it from the forest. We are able to take any dead standing or fallen trees but you can not use any sort of motor vehical to get it out of the woods. So typically we cut it into legnths around 4.5ft long (we have a summit 18" logs). And if there are large rounds we try to cut them around 18" and load them onto hand cart to haul out. Anyway... for some reason its difficult for us to get consistacy. We have some that are 14" some that are 16", 18", & 20. I guess its hard to judge when you out cutting them into legnths vs. rounds. We usually have to work quickly so measuring each wouldnt be efficient. Any suggestions??? We have about 8 chords but we are kinda self made wood whores.....LOL. Gotta beat all of the boiler people as we only need 4 chords a year and some of them went through 10 chords last winter.

I cut mine in 6ft lengths for 4 - 18" splits. What I do is nick the log every 18 inches or so till I get to my fourth nick which is actually a cut

I use the bar on my saw just tuck the butt of each pc right to the case if you have an 18" bar. I have an 18" bar but cut 23.5" to 24" by going to the second nut that tightens the bar. After a while you can almost just walk by and know where to cut by looking down at the saw parallel to the log without actually physically touching the logs. Once I see the spot I will make a mental note of a spot on the log like a cut off branch blemish in the bark or even something as simple as a wood chip. Hope this makes sense.

back in the days when I cut in the woods I used the bar on my saw as a guide and cut everything the same 16" or 18" length ...loaded into a wheelbarrow, then into a vehicle. I forget about the 54" logs...too much nutzing around to recut them Just cut them to size once...then wheel 'em to the vehicle. The big pneumatic tire on a commercial wheelbarrow works well on the woods as long as you don't over load it. Good luck in your wood gathering. Then again there's the tried and tested nicking method.

I use an aluminum pipe that is 18" long, put it on the log, look at where the cut should be and remove the pipe and keep my eye on the "spot" and start cutting. It seems to produce pretty consistent rounds for me.

I use my bar on the saw its 18"If you are cuting by hand.You could get a string and a cryon.Step 1Tie A yellow cryon on one end of the string cut your sting to length you would like to cut. Step 2 then place the cut end of string on the end of the wood and pull the string tight and mark your board with the cryon Then repeat step 1,and 2 :coolgrin: Ive also seen markers for wood> Its like a wheel you roll the wheel on your wood and it will mark your wood to the lenght you need. There a lot of thing you could do.If the string idea is to much.Try messuring your arm from your elbow to your finger tips. Dont cut your arm off :lol:

Burd said:
...Dont cut your arm off :lol:

Dang it! I read that last sentence too late, good thing I was wearing my belt. What does anyone know about one-armed wood splitting? Anyone...? :bug: Rick

What does anyone know about one-armed wood splitting? Anyone...? :bug: Rick[/quote]

Well, they do make lightweight mauls.... :lol:

Like others, I use the length of my bar if I am in doubt. Usually just cut and after cutting for so long you can get pretty close to the right size without measuring. I go for 16 inches while the stove takes 18 max so most of what I cut fits easlily. If I cut up large log over 16 inch diameter I will take a little extra effort in measuring the rounds with the bar since they split into so many splits I like to have them at 16 inches and not longer. Painted a 16 inch mark on the splitter so when splitting I can double check them and cut off if they are too long before making the splits. Not an exact science by any means and doesn't bother me to find a few too long. I can cut them on my shop bandsaw if I find them in the winter while carring to the house.

Put me down for another bar length cutter. If your bar is too short then you can even mentally add the additional length each time. Too short is better than too long.

On this last 4.5 cord load of logs that I had delivered to my home I actually cut a measuring stick at 36" with a mark at 18 and would set up two accurate 18" cuts. It worked well in a controlled environment but out in the woods your always going to have the bar handy.

Another commercial product in the paint roller dotter thing where you put a paint can in a holder and roll the wheel along the log. The wheel applies a paint squirt every X inches.

You could always just bring a rag tape. Harbor Freight sells cheap ones that are easy to use and fairly tough.

We use a couple pieces of wood strapping marked every 20" (A couple 40" long and a couple 60" inches long). We use a can of spray paint and mark 5-6 trunks at a time and then have at it. Works really nice......it sure beats ending up with a barrage of different log lengths.

WoodButcher

A couple pieces of scrap steel! Measure out 18 inches, two welds and a good sharp edge on the the end points and I am good! OH YEAH don't forget the orange paint so when you drop it in the grass or leaves you can find it! Cost me no money and 15 minutes of my beer drinking time! :coolgrin: All you do his hold the two end points one in each hand, and with sharp ends down, scratch out 18 inches, then jump down, scratch, jump down scratch! Nice and consistant! Your marks won't wash off or disappear, as long as you scratch hard your all good to go! :coolcheese:

Attachments

• DSC00514.JPG
    DSC00514.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 234
So how do you use it? Scratch marks in the bark?

Yes just scratch the marks in the bark! I start at the fat end first and work my way up! Then I cut cut cut! Consistently 18" long! :coolgrin: What you think? Simple and cheap!

i just drop a piece of 14" 2x4 down, mark it and cut.

"If your bar is too short then you can even mentally add the additional length each time. Too short is better than too long. "

I would suppose that depends on who you are talking to. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.