Getting down and dirty in 90*weather,insanity?you tell me.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Saturday cut 001-002.jpgSaturday cut 003-001.jpgSaturday cut 004-001.jpgSaturday cut 005-001.jpgSaturday cut 005-001.jpgSaturday cut 006-001.jpgSaturday cut 007-001.jpgSaturday cut 008-001.jpg Decided to do a little buckin yesterday 90*so I went to the locust grove where I've been buckin the last 2 months.Hot as you know what flies mosquitos poison ivy got it all in this place.Hauled the atv in and cut a huge load of air dried locust,and 1 cherry that got in my way.As I was working in the woods the friend of mine who own the 116 acres asks me if I ever saw the downed red oak in a dense blackberry multiflora rose thicket,I said no so he tells me it fell 7 years ago in a storm,I said probably well rotted by now but mentioned I'll have a look at it.Well I hack my way into this mess and I see this oak no bark sunk in the ground about 4 inches and maybe 50-60 feet in length.Took awhile to hack off the thick growth of brush covering the tree,no bark and looked punky,anyway I took a test cut shown in pics and to my surprise it was rock hard and dry as a bone. Took about 2 hours and 2 chains later I get her bucked unbelievable piece of wood absolutely dry and hard as stone,very heavy. You figure 7 years old and not one piece rotted ,it was a pain cutting and I dulled a new chain halfway through hitting the ground but got her done,this woodcutting thing is a learning experience.Saturday cut 001-002.jpg

Attachments

• Saturday cut 002-002.jpg
    Saturday cut 002-002.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: toonces and ScotO
Great job.You get used to the heat/humidity,just pace yourself,take frequent breaks & stay well hydrated.I spent 4-5 days a month in my spare time from April to November 2011 dropping snags,salvaging deadfall on parents acreage.Rain or shine,with temps from 65 to 95+ with humidity to match some days.Ended up with just about 12 cord,all hand split & stacked,enough to last me 3-4 yrs easily.Just a handful left to finish now,I'm taking a break from the woods for a bit,concentrating on my regular construction job,milling a few pieces in spare time & just relaxing for now.

Reactions: ScotO
I'm with you. Just went to the woods and got another load of rounds and unloaded it. It's now 86 and humid. I think I'll take a shower and stay in the air for a while. Going to a campground later to eat some smoked ribs. High of 95 today and no air in my vehicle or at the camp. At least the camp is only about 10 mile from home and there is a large pond.

Reactions: Thistle
Nice haul of oak there, big O! Looks like you made the most of that little bed in the ol' Tacoma! If you get that stuff split and stacked, it will be ready by fall, it's dead and barkless! We've been working a pile of trees too, just put a huge poplar down this morning it was around 80* and the air was so thick it almost choked you! I love cuttin in the summer but this is ridiculous! It ain't even summer yet!!!

Yeah, it's ridiculous how long that Oak heartwood will last out there, especially if it's off the ground a bit. Sapwood is long-gone but the core is in great shape and almost dry enough to toss right in the stove. I need to find some more and see how long it takes to get rid of the remaining moisture; Probably not long at all in this heat.

Good work in such temps !
Not for me, to get used to above 80 is tough, my body would shut down above 90.
I'd have to work with a garden hose spraying on me until I learned how to sweat. LOL.

Here birch rot in a couple years here, standing dead ones are rotten down the middle. Spruce is OK for longer.

Nice solid looking wood. Should split nice. Will burn hot & long in the 1107
You need sideboards. That's a load, but the Toy can handle it ;)

That's a nice score for sure! Get all you can. Stuff the rice burner to the gills!

Good work in such temps !
Not for me, to get used to above 80 is tough, my body would shut down above 90.
I'd have to work with a garden hose spraying on me until I learned how to sweat. LOL.

Here birch rot in a couple years here, standing dead ones are rotten down the middle. Spruce is OK for longer.

Nice solid looking wood. Should split nice. Will burn hot & long in the 1107
You need sideboards. That's a load, but the Toy can handle it ;)
I actually thought about sideboards but I'm hauling less than a 1/4 mile from home,there's over a ton in there now and the old taco is as level as it was 10 years ago,love them tacos my fourth one. Happy Memorial day to all,especially our veterans.

Enjoy the score on the downed oak. You will reap the rewards this winter when you lay them in the firebox and feel the warmth. I'm envious of the 116 acres you have to cut in.

Reminds me of my 1st Craigs List score, guy had a HUGE ash down in his yard and wanted it out asap. I was 1st to reply/show up so it was all mine if I got it out of there in just a few days. Of course it had to be the hottest week of the summer with humidity to match. Seems as the older I get the more that type of weather kicks my a**! I must have consumed gallons of water in the 3 days it took me to clear it out, but the next winter it made it all worthwhile!

Reactions: woodsmaster
Dat taco es loaded, meng.

I cut a lot of trees like that, down forever but up off the ground enough so they don't rot. It is hell on chains...all those years in the horizontal position gives them plenty of time to accumulate lots of dirt...to the point where you'll see some sparks.

Reminds me of my 1st Craigs List score, guy had a HUGE ash down in his yard and wanted it out asap. I was 1st to reply/show up so it was all mine if I got it out of there in just a few days. Of course it had to be the hottest week of the summer with humidity to match. Seems as the older I get the more that type of weather kicks my a**! I must have consumed gallons of water in the 3 days it took me to clear it out, but the next winter it made it all worthwhile!

Don't worry Bob. It won't get any easier from this point onward.

Yea Dennis, it's part of the "maturing process" :)

I have decided on 2 things recently, quit bitchin' about my aches & pains...and when I feel like those thngs are getting the best of me I remind myself there may come a day when I wish I could still do those things that caused some of the aches/pains!

With that said, if I had the opportunity to get some good "free" firewood I would be there regardless of the heat/humidity. I haven't run the saw in over a month now....starting to get the itch! I'll probably come across some firewood as soon as it gets over 90 again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.