Getting Excited!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toddnic

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2013
North Carolina
Got some guys clearing a big lot of red oak, locust, and maple. They have a big escavator and told me to come over and they would load up as much as I can haul during the day on Saturday! Free wood and I don't have to load it.....just plain awesome!! I'll upload some pics on Saturday.

Damn, doesn't get much sweeter than that!

Got some guys clearing a big lot of red oak, locust, and maple. They have a big escavator and told me to come over and they would load up as much as I can haul during the day on Saturday! Free wood and I don't have to load it.....just plain awesome!! I'll upload some pics on Saturday.
That's great . Can't beat that with a bat. Bring a big trailer

Reactions: ScotO
Just askin. How are you getting it OFF the trailer?

Be safe. KC

Reactions: Backwoods Savage

Todd were at i will be right over ...:cool: Supposed to be 72 This Weekend

Nice, it doesn't come along like that too much. Careful unloading.

Man that sounds like a heck of a deal. I guess I need to keep an eye out for new neighborhoods going up around me.

Reactions: ScotO
I never get super wood deals like that.

Reactions: Realstone and ScotO
Get set up for fast off loads ;)
Helpers standing by .

Logs?
Have a tow rope ready, have someone pull the logs off.

Sounds like fun !

How far from home?

Reactions: HDRock
A friend is going to help me. We have a 16 ft. and a 10 ft. trailer. Unloading is going to be interesting. My plan is to try and pull them off of the trailer with either an ATV or truck with a big tow strap. Any other advice would be appreciated!

I pulled quite a few logs off my truck by simply synching a long rigging strap around a big tree, backed up to it and synched the other end of the strap around the logs and drove forward. Worked great.

Here is a pic of the woodpile that I get to pick from tomorrow!!!! It has red oak, maple, sourwood, and locust. Anybody getting excited :cool: And the guy is going to load it all for me :)

Attachments

• Wood Pile Whiteside.jpg
    Wood Pile Whiteside.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 183
A friend is going to help me. We have a 16 ft. and a 10 ft. trailer. Unloading is going to be interesting. My plan is to try and pull them off of the trailer with either an ATV or truck with a big tow strap. Any other advice would be appreciated!
I have found the fasted way to unload stuff from the back of a truck or trailer is to get going as fast as you can in reverse and slam on the brakes right in front of the spot you want to dump your load.

Note; I also found out that this method works great if people are always asking you to help them move because you are the only one they know with a truck and trailer. >>

I know you only have a short time but Id see if you can find a dump trailer. Or even rent one. Alot less time messing with the offload. That pile is not only free wood but free labor as well.
Have fun.

Did you see if they would load it into their dump truck and deliver? It would probably be much faster for you and them. Even if you have to pay them for trucking it will be infinitely less wear and tear on your truck/trailer and unloading will be rather effortless on your part.

Lay a long chain across the bed (one third of the way from the back of the trailer) before they start loading. Load on top of the chain. To unload, back up to something sturdy (such as a large tree). Bind the load with the chain, then chain to tree and drive away.

I pull logs with my F150 and a tow chain not sure a ATV has the power/traction
A tree or other anchor and driving your pick up away, as mentioned above sounds like a better plan.
Also as said see if they will dump it for you. (fuel $$ and a few 6 packs may do it) your also doing them a favor
Anyway you do it, NICE SCORE

Lay a long chain across the bed (one third of the way from the back of the trailer) before they start loading. Load on top of the chain. To unload, back up to something sturdy (such as a large tree). Bind the load with the chain, then chain to tree and drive away.
I had to laugh when I see this because this is almost EXACTLY how we unload the brush from our trailer!! When we load the trailer, we lay a rope with a chocker knot across the bed of the trailer. Then we put several of the larger, crotch-laden branches down on the trailer first, getting a good "mat" to lay the smaller stuff on. Then we choke off a big pile of he limbs and pack that trailer full, I mean REALLY full. Go to the dump site, choke off that rope to the other truck or another stationary heavy object, and drive right out from under that load. Put tailgate up on trailer and back up to pile, pushing it apart and out of the way so we can un-choke the rope. Works great (well, 9 out of 10 times, anyway!)

Got some guys clearing a big lot of red oak, locust, and maple...
It's like a who's who of top BTU. Great score indeed.

I never get super wood deals like that.
Me neither. I do get some nice scores of primo wood, but just a partial pickup load or two. Grateful for it, but would like to see the Bertha haul of locust or rock maple come in one day.

Reactions: NortheastAl
My neighbor is going to let me use his dump trailer!!!! Is is 10x6x2.5. I'll get about 1 1/3rd cords on each run. Oh yeah!!!

What about me Todd ! I live down here too ! Hay great score and good luck with that :cool:

Reactions: toddnic
What about me Todd ! I live down here too ! Hay great score and good luck with that :cool:

I'm starting at 9:00 AM in the morning! Come on over. There has to be 10 to 15 cords in the pile. Definitely enough wood to go around!

Status
Not open for further replies.