Getting excited!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sticks&Stones

Aug 27, 2016
New Jersey
Well it's almost show time for me. My PE Summit insert is arriving Thursday. I have my liner and I followed the advice given to me on getting it ovalized, the 6" liner is now 4"×7 3/4". I'm still torn on wrapping it in 1/2" insulation because it's an internal chimney and it still will be a tight fit (7"x11"). I have my permits on hand and am going to run an outlet up from the basement to the back of the fireplace.

The guy that is helping me who does this for a living is putting up a stink about insulating and adding a block off plate. It's a 20' length and he just said stuff some rotten cotton up there and be done with it. I'm definitely adding a block off plate, regardless of what he wants to do.

Any thoughts or feedback on this?
Thank Again For All The Advice!!
Pat

P.S. I decided to not add the insert to the basement yet, I have the liner but not the funds so I'm only doing the first floor for now.

This seems to be a common mantra this season.

Now is the time to block-off-plate and do it right. If not about mid-winter your going to be looking at your nice insert and in the back of your mind your going to be thinking , why didn't I go ahead and do this. You will be glad you took the extra time now.

Reactions: Sticks&Stones
With an interior chimney you will get some benefit of heat release from the masonry that gets stored up when there is a fire. The flue will also stay warmer with the interior chimney. Insulation is a safety issue. Maybe look into installing insulated DuraLiner which is 6.625" OD?

With an interior chimney you will get some benefit of heat release from the masonry that gets stored up when there is a fire. The flue will also stay warmer with the interior chimney. Insulation is a safety issue. Maybe look into installing insulated DuraLiner which is 6.625" OD?

Thank You for the replies fellas! I already picked up my liner and its in the garage waiting to be installed. I guess it's another case of would of could of and should have. I did buy a quality liner just not insulated, the link for the liner that I'm using is here.
http://www.royalchimneysupply.com/products/flexible-chimney-liners/homeguard-max/
Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.