getting heat from 2 sided fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pshuman

Oct 22, 2007
southern ME
I have a 2 sided fireplace (manufactured, not masonry). I am thinking about getting some glass doors to block one side, so that we can enjoy a little bit of heat. Does anyone know anything about doing this? Or perhaps, advice on how to properly, and safely block one side permanently.

To expand on what enord said, think of an open fireplace as a combination space heater and exhaust fan. The worst part is the that air being exhausted up your chimney is the expensive air that you paid to have your furnace heat up.

OTOH it can be nice to sit in front of a crackling fire -- something I miss with my woodstove-type fireplace. I'll bet you won't see much difference if you close off one side, so it's probably not worth the effort.

If you close off one side you not take liability of the whole thing into your own hands. You are making modifications to a listed and tested system, and no one has tested these modifications for clearances or safety. Remember this is a box full of FIRE in your HOUSE. Also most ST wood units require them to be burned with either both sides closed or both open (using approved and tested doors from the mfg).

Basically... as far as getting any sort of substantial heat gain from that unit, don't hold your breath. Your best bet would be to tear the whole thing out. Then you could either make a little alcove and put in a stove, or close off one side and put in a ZC EPA approved hybrid unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.