Q&A Getting heat from Pellet Stove in basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I recently purchased a Pellet Stove and placed in in my finished basement. I have one ceiling vent and one stair well leading to the first floor. The basement heats up well but I'd like advice on how to get the heat upstairs to the first floor. The only two options I've heard of is standard ceiling vents and ceiling vents with fans in them. Any thoughts?

Answer:

In my experience, cold air from the house often falls a forms a barrier that does not allow the heat from the basement to flow upstairs. Assuming there is a stairway door you can open, you have one method of heat flow, but you need at least two so air can flow both ways (feed and return).

A nice sized grate in the ceiling near the stove would probably do a nice job. Since most pellet stoves have blowers, an ideal location for this might be 5 feet or more in front of the stove. The air should then come up through this grate, and fall back down the basement stairs. If the flow is right, a fan in the grate may not be needed. The grate should be a nice size, at least 12" square.

Status
Not open for further replies.