Getting Max Stove Temps.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2010
North MS
I have a Morso 2110 and this is my first year of running it. The question I have is; will I be able to get my temps up in the stove the more seasoned the wood is? I cut dead oaks last year and some hickory in planning for this season. The wood is in pretty good shape but I know some of it has not been completely seasoned.
I can get the stove up to 500, and a time or two just a little over that, but I would like to be able to run it around 550. Right now it is taking some pretty close attention and effort to get it to that stage. So can I expect to get that top temp much easier the more seasoned my wood is?

You are correct. Seasoned wood is easier to work with. You will be able to reach 500 without any issues with seasoned wood. What happens is your stove wastes a good amount of energy turning that water to steam so it can burn the wood. Less water/less energy wasted cooking it off.

Matt

Unless you have other issues, my chimney draws well but not as much as I would like, it keeps me from hitting much above 600 or so, my wood is all below 20% with some at 12%.

First year of burning I thought I was doing pretty well . . . I had standing dead elm and some tree tops and my creosote level was good and I was getting seconedary burns and heat . . . however in my second year of burning when I was using wood that had been cut and split for over a year I learned what my woodstove was truly capable of doing in terms of heat and secondary burns . . . my eyes were opened . . . of course this was after I was convinced that Satan had opened a portal to hell in my Oslo . . . the secondaries I had in my first year were nothing like what I saw in my second year of burning . . . oh yeah, the extra heat and longer burns was also nice.

jackofalltrades said:
I have a Morso 2110 and this is my first year of running it. The question I have is; will I be able to get my temps up in the stove the more seasoned the wood is? I cut dead oaks last year and some hickory in planning for this season. The wood is in pretty good shape but I know some of it has not been completely seasoned.
I can get the stove up to 500, and a time or two just a little over that, but I would like to be able to run it around 550. Right now it is taking some pretty close attention and effort to get it to that stage. So can I expect to get that top temp much easier the more seasoned my wood is?

In general you are correct that drier wood will allow you to reach higher temperatures in the stove. However, be careful with general statements. For example, that oak you speak of needs much more time to dry than most other woods. Around here we won't burn oak until it has been split and stacked for 3 years. Many other woods can be cut this winter and burned next winter.

Try to get 2-3 years ahead with your wood supply and you will be much happier in the end. It can be tough getting to that point but the benefit is well worth it. Good luck.

Mr. Dennis, I am currently cutting wood for the 2012-13 season so I am well on my way to getting everything in order on the wood. It has been hard trying to get that far ahead but I am expected great things to come from it. I have thought about cutting some other species for the 2011-12 season. I will have oak for sure, but again all of it will not be quite there yet with only a full year of seasoning. I was thinking about poplar or sweet gum to fill some of the gap. I think those might dry pretty quick. Anyone can give me ideas for wood species we would have here in North MS that would be dry for next year.

Not sure if you get birch there, but I find if cut now when sap down, it can dry over the summer and be ready to burn next winter.

If there is any standing dead birch available, that would be even better :)

I have no experience with sweet gum but have with poplar. Heck, one winter many moon ago that was all we had to burn. Burns good except not so good for holding fires. Perhaps this might work good for mixing with that oak.

You are to be congratulated for cutting now for 2012-2013. That is thinking ahead very wisely. Methinks you will be doing fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.