Getting maximum burn time from BIS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dac122

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2007
Upstate NY
I have an older BIS, what the company calls an "original BIS" with a model number of WH000700. It is a 67% efficient model, and has only 2 air intake controls, no flue damper.

The stove works well, but I'm looking to maximize the burn time on my stove and can't seem to get more than 3-4 hours at best. I came across this burn chart in the original brochure and was wondering if anyone knows how to get 8 hours.

As mentioned I can get 3-4 hours from well seasoned cherry once I get the stove to about 150F and fill it chock full and close the air dampers. I don't have a moisture meter so don't know if that's the difference.

I'm not sure what could be making such a big difference. Or am I just naive - this is just typical unrealistic marketing.

Especially appreciate hearing from fellow BIS owners.

BIS8HBurn.jpg

Not a BIS owner, but I am in advertising - manufactures numbers are always optimistic.
That said, I'm sure we can get you longer than 3 hours.
1. Load your splits perpendicular to the air intakes
2. try loading rounds, not splits
3. after a complete burn cycle, pull all of your coals forward, then put big rounds in the back and some smaller splits in front. The small splits keeps things going and block air flow to the rounds until the splits burn down, then the rounds take off - sort of a 2 stage burn
4. If you have door gaskets / ash pan gaskets check them with a dollar bill, or $100 bill if you're wealthy - close the bill in the door and pull - it should drag with a lot of resistance - if not, the gasket should be replaced. Any stove shop or Home Depot will have gasket and cement cheap

If that doesn't help, and longer burn times are very important to your situation, consider a new and larger EPA approved air-tight stove.

Good luck, be safe.

'Frank

offroadaudio said:
Not a BIS owner, but I am in advertising - manufactures numbers are always optimistic.
That said, I'm sure we can get you longer than 3 hours.
1. Load your splits perpendicular to the air intakes
2. try loading rounds, not splits
3. after a complete burn cycle, pull all of your coals forward, then put big rounds in the back and some smaller splits in front. The small splits keeps things going and block air flow to the rounds until the splits burn down, then the rounds take off - sort of a 2 stage burn
4. If you have door gaskets / ash pan gaskets check them with a dollar bill, or $100 bill if you're wealthy - close the bill in the door and pull - it should drag with a lot of resistance - if not, the gasket should be replaced. Any stove shop or Home Depot will have gasket and cement cheap

If that doesn't help, and longer burn times are very important to your situation, consider a new and larger EPA approved air-tight stove.

Good luck, be safe.

'Frank

Thanks offroadaudio for some ideas and some confidence in getting longer burns. I'm now getting up to 7 hours.

I only have splits and no rounds but have been able to tightly stack the splits like rounds. I don't have much room in front so I tightly stack my cherry together and then lay a few pieces of boxelder on the sides. Kinda like your 2 stage burn. I like to think of it as keeping the fire going until the hard stuff takes off. I also make sure I start off with 150F just like in the chart, and concentrate the coals so the boxelder starts.

I still have to check the gasket better but a visual inspection looks tight.

Thanks again.

We had an original BIS and loved it - except for the short burn times. We got 4 hours max and that was with a damped down and smokey fire. Fortunately, we burn locust and oak, so in 16 years we never had enough creosote buildup to need cleaning. We just took out our beloved BIS to put in a Quadra Isle Royal - a stove that is supposed to burn well over 8 hours if you believe the propaganda. So far, the best we've achieved is 5-6. The BIS is in semi-retirement in the basement...just in case!!!

The internal ash pan in the BIS is a problem if you want to heat full time with wood - you have to let the coals cool before you can lift out/remove the grate and then take out the ash pan. For wonderful evenings in front of the fire, you can't beat a BIS. If you want to stay warm, you will have to get up every 4 hours, and will have to empty the ash pan about every 2 days with the original BIS. I understand they now have a model with an external ash pan but it doesn't improve the heat output or duration at all.

Good luck!

Dee

Thanks Blue Ridger.

Yeah we really like the BIS but the short burn times and ash buildup are a problem.

I was just about to post for ideas on how to manage the ash, but I think you've answered my question - let her burn down. I do have an ash bucket so I may be able to put on some well insulated glove, fill the bucket with hot ash and run it out to the ash pile. With the amount of snow we get those ashes will be out in no time.

I've been a little concerned about creosote buildup but have never seen anything close to that in my chimney, so its reassuring to know its not likely to be a problem, and probably don't need to check it mid-season.

I did manage to get a few 7 hour burns but that was about it. I think my latest batch of cherry in the garage got a little wet. My next batch is dryer, so we'll see how that goes.

I'd think about upgrading but not sure it will be worth the hassle and money. Between burning continuously with the BIS and resurrecting my heat pump for the milder days, I've reduced my propane use by 66% with only a modest bump in my electric bill. As a huge bonus the wife is really happy with how warm the house is. There's no comparison between the constant stove heat and a forced air furnace. Kinda' makes me reminisce for the old coal fired octopus furnaces.

Thanks for passing along any gems of knowledge. If you can think of any others I'd appreciate it.

I have a BIS Tradition and I can load it up at night and still have enough coals 8 hours later to start kindling. I think they have tweaked the design quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.