Getting my PB105 into basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris04626

Minister of Fire
I will be picking up my boiler next week. Price is listed at 7200 i got it for 7000 including sales tax

Now the question is how do i get this thing into my basement, any tips?

Hopefully some of the people that have the PB105 will chime in.

I have an outdoor service door in my furnace room, so I just put the unit on some pipes and rolled it in.

Can you provide a description of what you need to go through (stairwell width, number of stairs, etc.)? The more info, the better.

I have a bulk head with no steps in it as they were broken/ So i didnt know if maybe there was a way to lift it with a forklift somehow and lower it in, or i could get some steps built, but they say the unit weighs 800 pounds so not sure.

When I got my PF100, I rented a furniture moving hand truck from U Haul. This has a strap you can wrap around the boiler and tighten it down with a crank at the top of the furniture hand truck. I laid a piece of plywood over the concrete stairs covering them like a ramp. I had my son lower the hand truck down the plywood ramp with a rope attached with the hand truck laying flat down on the ramp while me and another person pushed against the bottom and eased it down from the bottom of the ramp. The hand truck has like gliding pads on the back for sliding things down the edges of stairs.

Your PB will probably be a little heavier because of the water jacket so another person on the top and bottom might be needed to lower it down the stairs.

You could use some heavy nylon slings on a set of forks on a forklift, a skid steer, or a tractor bucket and lower the unit down the bulk head.

Set it on some pipes and roll it into place.

I lowered my PB105 down the ramp, but caution, it's very heavy and think near one half a ton. I attached a large nylon strap rachet to the forks on a four ton tractor and with a nylon strap around the PB, lowered the boiler slowly by placing 1 inch iron pipes beneath it and racheting the boiler into the cellar. Once on the cellar floor it was moved into position with a small 5500 # capacity pallet jack.

The only way into my basement was across my kitchen floor and down the stairs. My dealer and I laid 2 layers of 3/4" plywood over the ceramic tile floor and then rolled the boiler across the floor over to the basement stairs. We used several 1.5" schedule 40 pipes, the width of the boiler, and laid them under it and pushed it across the floor. I removed enough treads from the stairs to be able to use a block and tackle, hung from above on a multi 2 X 6 brace that I installed, to lower the PB105 down onto the basement floor. We then rolled it across the basement floor on those same pipes used upstairs over to where I installed it. The dealer was awesome and the whole process took about 3 hrs to get it place.

Me and a few friends picked it up and brought it into the basement. Heavy as hell. But it's done.

I had to take mine apart and with 8 people carry it down the stairs in 2 trips. We wrapped nylon tow straps around the water jacket and hooked them to 2 long steel pipes so we could have enough hand holds for 4 people on each side. 4 in front and 4 in back with the steel pipes running front to back. The narrowness and angle of the steps still make it very difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.